Admins please advise

Newdude

Jun 16, 2019
NY
Hi all. Is there a reason that we can’t edit PM conversations ? Both my phone and tablet sneak autocorrect in not only on individual words, but sometimes it rewords sentences after the fact. I’ve got no problems looking like a fool, but when it ruins the question or help, it would be nice to be able to edit it.
Of course I proofread but you can’t catch them all. TIA

Newdude

Jun 16, 2019
NY
OH yeah.... just because you knew the difference between "advice" and "advise" you get one of Maddie's Genius Blue Ribbons!
Why thank you miss. I can see it may be needed as a backup safety measure if somebody was threatening or mean in PM they could delete the offense after the fact, so in that case it would be worth it even if it was annoying 99.9999% of the time.

Leebo

Admin
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 21, 2011
Eastern Ohio
Why thank you miss. I can see it may be needed as a backup safety measure if somebody was threatening or mean in PM they could delete the offense after the fact, so in that case it would be worth it even if it was annoying 99.9999% of the time.
You just nailed why it’s disabled, but I’m open to having my arm twisted to turn it on. We have seen in the past heated discussions go into PM and such where it went even further downhill. That said, I also agree it’s childish and stupid that we’d have to do that.

Reactions: Kush

Newdude

Jun 16, 2019
NY
That said, I also agree it’s childish and stupid that we’d have to do that
If it protected somebody even just once, then it would still be worth the hassle. You could also turn it on and ask anybody who had a problem to immediately screenshot the problem as proof. The offending party editing their post without PROFUSELY apologizing for their unintended offense would let you know which party to believe.

Leebo

Admin
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 21, 2011
Eastern Ohio
It does, assuming we have access to the content. We don’t have access to private conversations however unless “invited” or unless I peak at the database, which is a pain.

If it’s a thread however, takes only seconds for Mods to review old content.

Reactions: Newdude

JohnT

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Apr 4, 2007
SW Indiana
Quote the PM when responding. It should then be un-editable by the offender. By the way, Leebo is a big doo-doo head!;)
Unfortunately, the quote is just text inserted into your message and can be easily edited as you can see above.

I have to say it would be nice if you could recall a PM before the recipient reads it. That would allow you to correct errors or from a moderator perspective to tone down language that either sounds or is harsher than you want it to be.

• Haha
Reactions: Leebo

Newdude

Jun 16, 2019
NY
I like the screenshot idea. If the sender edits it with good conscience before the recipient reads it then there is no harm no foul.

RMcGirr83

Gold Supporter
Nov 19, 2018
Tuscola, TX
I have to say it would be nice if you could recall a PM before the recipient reads it.
In phpBB users have outbox folder, sent folder, etc. If it hasn't been sent then it is editable in the outbox. No idea how XenForum does it (or doesn't as the case may be). PMs can also be reported in phpBB, again not sure if the same applies to this forum software.

I guess I can report one of @JJ_Tex nudie PM's.