Additives needed for new hot tub

dooger54

Gold Supporter
Apr 21, 2017
Tucson AZ
I purchased a new MasterSpa hot tub this summer and am ready to fill it for the first time. I will use Aqua Clarity to purge the first fill and then refill. I will use Aqua Clarity as my regular maintenance regime. My tub came with a lot of "additives", how many of these should I keep and use?

IMG_2282 (1).jpegIMG_2283.jpeg

I recommend reading the sticky on top of this forum (presume chlorine from chem pics).

For a 500 gallon tub an ounce of the chlorinating granules shoul get you started.

I used a metal out product initially (only), but it probably does mor harm than good adding stuff that's not necessary.

I've only had mine about 6 months...

I recommend reading the sticky on top of this forum (presume chlorine from chem pics).

For a 500 gallon tub an ounce of the chlorinating granules shoul get you started.

I used a metal out product initially (only), but it probably does mor harm than good adding stuff that's not necessary.

I've only had mine about 6 months...
Yes, I read that sticky already. I know what quantity to add of dichlor but wondering about other bottles.

Yes, I read that sticky already. I know what quantity to add of dichlor but wondering about other bottles.
Well, Aqua Clarity is a "multiple product" that includes a clarifier. A clarifier should not be necessary.

Oxidizing shock is a product of some controversy here, I've used it to break up rising combined chlorine, but dosing info, etc. Is sparse when i researched it here. Regardless, you should not have cc, so don't initially need it (if you decide not to use it, you can dispense chl to shock levels instead).

The yellow and green bottles probably put chems in your spa you don't want there.

HTH
Methuselah

Last edited:
I purchased a new MasterSpa hot tub this summer and am ready to fill it for the first time. I will use Aqua Clarity to purge the first fill and then refill. I will use Aqua Clarity as my regular maintenance regime. My tub came with a lot of "additives", how many of these should I keep and use?

View attachment 458327View attachment 458328
Keep The two things of dichlor-
Sell the rest unless you think you may have a metals problem then maybe keep the metal out. You will know when you add chlorine if there’s a problem as the water would change colors or stain’s would appear.
Follow the sticky as mentioned 👍🏻

I would keep the two dichloro chlorines and the two monopersulphate products. The metal out is a sequesterant
used if you have iron, copper or manganese in the fill water. You'll know if yiu do once you add the dichlor chlorine to the new fill as the water will become slightly discolored. No big deal. Add the metal out if you have the issue. You can use the monopersulphate(s) for periodic oxidizing of organic waste. No sense wasting it.
You will get a good release of gunk when you purge with the Aqua Clarity. Remove filters before purging and do NOT allow any sticky stuff to dry on the shell. Spray with a hose as the tub is draining and wipe the residual brownish yellow film as you see it cling.

FWIW- i have never used mps (non chlorine shock) because it’s never been needed. Chlorine has always done the job just fine since it is both a sanitizer & an oxidizer.
Mps can be irritating for some & also reads as cc’s when testing if an interference reagent isn’t used. It’s not listed in PoolMath so that means it’s hard to dose precisely or know it’s effects on other parameters. For all these reasons it’s a no go for me.

The spa perfect Is an enzyme type product that isn’t needed if using Aqua clarity/ Ahhsome purges & maintaining adequate fc levels FC/CYA Levels, the same goes for the clarifier, unnecessary.
The spa stain & scale coincidentally contains the same active ingredients as the spa perfect -
To prevent scale keep your ph in the 7’s & your ch around 150 or less. No special potion needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.