Additional decking?

Watershow

Jun 10, 2020
Riverside County, CA
Hello!
In the process of getting permits for my pool. However, now I’m thinking I would want to add more concrete decking to my original plan - approx 8 x 13. I hope to add it to my existing concrete. Is this possible or would they need to take the old one out and replace it? Reason why I would like to add more is because I don’t want too much grass area and also would allow more room for lounging/sitting and or possibly add a pergola in the future. Any thoughts? Is it a bad idea?
I’ve attached my plan and drew the add on. Also, is this too late in the game to bring this up to my builder? Thanks in advanced!0C885133-5B98-4DF6-9277-AFEB60F84773.jpeg0C885133-5B98-4DF6-9277-AFEB60F84773.jpeg

My thoughts are add it if you want it. We extended our patio about 4 months after the pool was completed. Would have done it during the pool build but didn't realize we wanted it. The pool kinda changed our initial vision of what we thought we wanted in the back yard.

Is your builder already done with pouring the decking, or have they already completed all the forms for the pool deck? If not, I don't think it would be a big deal. My PB had a price for extra concrete that went over what was agreed in the initial plans.

If they are complete with their pour or done with the forms, it might cost you more as they will have to re-mobilize or remove and rebuild forms, but I think it would still be doable, as long as they still have access.

I would definitely bring it up sooner rather than later though, just to give your PB the most time to make changes.

--Jeff

My thoughts are add it if you want it. We extended our patio about 4 months after the pool was completed. Would have done it during the pool build but didn't realize we wanted it. The pool kinda changed our initial vision of what we thought we wanted in the back yard.

Is your builder already done with pouring the decking, or have they already completed all the forms for the pool deck? If not, I don't think it would be a big deal. My PB had a price for extra concrete that went over what was agreed in the initial plans.

If they are complete with their pour or done with the forms, it might cost you more as they will have to re-mobilize or remove and rebuild forms, but I think it would still be doable, as long as they still have access.

I would definitely bring it up sooner rather than later though, just to give your PB the most time to make changes.

--Jeff
Thanks for the input. We are still waiting on our permits so construction hasn’t begun. I have a feeling there is going to be major delays with this whole covid thing especially where I’m at 😞. I’m hoping to add an additional 5x13 concrete. Hoping it’s not going to be add too much to the original cost. 🙏

Reactions: Turbo1Ton
Did you get your change made? Can't recommend deck space enough. Unless it's to recommend pool space that is.

Did you get your change made? Can't recommend deck space enough. Unless it's to recommend pool space that is.
Hello!
I emailed the PB last week but he hasn’t responded. His assistant confirmed he got the message though. It’s kinda bit frustrating because he was very responsive to my questions before the contract was signed. We are now in a waiting period to get permits from the city and he rarely responds unless I follow up with him or his assistant. I know he’s busy and has multiple jobs going on but I sure hope his responsiveness gets better when the build gets started. Anyway, thanks for confirming adding deck space is the way to go.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.