Additional Chemicals - Assuming not needed, looking to confirm!

jeffboer

Jun 3, 2019
Indiana, USA
First time owning a pool at the beginning of the season! Previous owner left the routine they used during the season:
1) floating baskets with Trichlor tabs to keep chlorine level up
2) Shock once a week
3) 3 capfuls of Natural chemistry Metal Free once a week
4) 4 capfuls to Leslie’s Perfect Weekly weekly
5) 15oz natural chemistry scale free monthly

I’ve switched to the TFPC method, using liquid chlorine. No more floating baskets or shocking weekly, keeping chlorine level in the range recommended based on CYA.

My question: is there any benefit to continuing the metal free, perfect weekly, or scale free? Based on what I’m reading here I’m thinking no, but looking for some confirmation as I’m not 100% sure what the purpose was of these in the previous owner’s routine. Thank you!

justinc

Gold Supporter
Apr 3, 2019
Texas
Well, if you have metals in the water you might want to use a sequestrant (Metal Free type product). What kind of water are you on? Well water? Is it high in iron or other metals, etc? You don't want those metals staining the pool. Totally optional but there are occasional cases where sequestrant is warranted.

The shocks and chlorine tablets can be saved for when you need to add chlorine AND CYA or for when you go on vacation you can drop the tablets in while you're gone assuming your CYA is not high.

The perfect weekly and scale free are not necessary. If you keep your Calcium Saturation Index within normal limits and you don't have super hard water (CH >400) then you shouldn't have problems with scaling. I don't even know what the perfect weekly is. I tried to look at it awhile back and watched a video and it seemed like some sort of enzyme potion. You don't need enzymes to break things down in your pool. You need chlorine.

jeffboer

Jun 3, 2019
Indiana, USA
Well water. Use filters when adding water to the pool to pull some of the rust/iron out. Any testing I can do to confirm if sequestrant is needed?

justinc

Gold Supporter
Apr 3, 2019
Texas
To actually test for metals you would have to go into the Pool Store, and even then the results can be hit or miss. I would just assume you do have metals since you had to remove iron when filling the pool.

Because of the metals, if it was my pool, I would routinely use a sequestrant. It is something you have to add weekly or biweekly because it will break down over time and must be replenished. Sequestrants based on HEDP (Hydroxyethylidene Diphosphonic Acid ), phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective. ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic make sequestrants with these ingredients but they tend to be a little pricey. You may be able to find another sequestrant brand with the same active ingredients for cheaper.