Adding SWG Spring ?

iain42

Oct 16, 2016
Little Rock AR
I kept my pool open this winter and I am glad I did as it was nice to sit on the porch have a cup of coffee and watch the waterfall. I did occasional testing to keep up and changed chemicals as needed nothing major. I am going to start adding bags of salt in preperation for adding the SWG this spring an IC40. The pool tech that put all equipment in place said everything is salt appropriate and I have room to add it. Maybe a stupid question but are first salt test near 0 or do some pools naturally have a high amount of salt? The salt test is the only test I lack but am ordering it soon.

thanks

Salt is in liquid chlorine. Even non salt pools accumulate salt over time. Get a K-1766 Taylor Salt Test

I don’t see much benefit to adding salt before your IC40 is installed. But when you do steer away from Clorox Pool Salt. I like Mortons Pool Salt which some Walmarts have at a good price.

Also salt does not mix as well with cold water. Don’t let the salt lay on the plaster pool bottom and stain it. You need to brush it around until it dissolves.

Salt is in liquid chlorine. Even non salt pools accumulate salt over time. Get a K-1766 Taylor Salt Test

I don’t see much benefit to adding salt before your IC40 is installed. But when you do sterr away from Clorox Pool Salt. I like Mortons Pool Salt which some Walmarts have at a good price.

Ahh I did not know that. That is the test kit I have on the way.

Our lowes has Diamond Crystals Salt diamond crystals at Lowes.com: Search Results If that isn't appropriate I'll check on the Mortons.

Thanks!

Iain,

Most pools already have some salt in them, from adding chlorine and other chemicals.. It would be unwise to assume that you have zero salt.

Not only that, but the IC40 is notorious for not being all that accurate when reporting the salt level.. So, buying a decent salt test kit, in my mind, is almost mandatory.

I use the Taylor K-1766 and it works great. The only 'bad' thing is that you really need a speed-stir to make it work well...

No matter what, add less salt than you think you need at first.. You can always add more...

I like to run my IC40 with the actual salt level around 3200 or so... Once the salt level gets much higher, I can start to taste it. The cell operates between 2800 and 4500..

You will love a saltwater pool... If I were to build another 100 pools, they would all be saltwater pools.

Thanks,

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

I use the Diamond Crystals... Works well for me.

Ahh I did not know that. That is the test kit I have on the way.

Our lowes has Diamond Crystals Salt diamond crystals at Lowes.com: Search Results If that isn't appropriate I'll check on the Mortons.

Thanks!

Some pool salts have had impurities that have stained pools. Many members have reported problems with Clorox Pool Salt. Diamond Crystal should be ok. I have had good experiences with Mortons.

Iain,

Most pools already have some salt in them, from adding chlorine and other chemicals.. It would be unwise to assume that you have zero salt.

Not only that, but the IC40 is notorious for not being all that accurate when reporting the salt level.. So, buying a decent salt test kit, in my mind, is almost mandatory.

I use the Taylor K-1766 and it works great. The only 'bad' thing is that you really need a speed-stir to make it work well...

No matter what, add less salt than you think you need at first.. You can always add more...

I like to run my IC40 with the actual salt level around 3200 or so... Once the salt level gets much higher, I can start to taste it. The cell operates between 2800 and 4500..

You will love a saltwater pool... If I were to build another 100 pools, they would all be saltwater pools.

Thanks,

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

I use the Diamond Crystals... Works well for me.

Thanks good info. I just got tired of going to lowes or home depot looking for good bleach lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Some pool salts have had impurities that have stained pools. Many members have reported problems with Clorox Pool Salt. Diamond Crystal should be ok. I have had good experiences with Mortons.

Thank you a stained pool would make me sad as I keep it spotless even in winter.

What kind of problems with clorox? I put it in the other day so I would like to know what to look out for.

There are reports each year on the forum of members using Clorox branded salt and it staining their pool surface due to iron in the salt. If that did not happen to you, then no issues.

Lowe's blue bag - Diamond Crystals - Solar Naturals. NOT the yellow bag (Bright and Soft). I've used this for 6 years, just dumping it in, moving it around once, then letting the pump run for a few hours afterwards. Never any staining from this product for me or reported that I recall.

Reactions: splashpad

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I did my first salt water test today and I have 1400ppm. Thanks to the updated pool math app I only need to pick up 8 40lb bags to reach 3500ppm. Can't wait to add SWG.
It won't hurt anything to add the salt now, if anything = it will improve the feel of the water :) Just a note for newer pool owners, salt does not sanitize the pool by itself ;)
We got the cheapest pure salt softener salt we could find at walmart and no issues with staining/mineral despots :) (make sure it is not the kind with any sort of additive)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.