Adding stabilizers

Rigo11

Feb 9, 2019
Miami fl
Hi, I'm new to the pool game and have a brand new pool built. Running for 5 months already. My stabilizer is at 30ppm and my chlorine is fine. I'm running a SWG so is constantly making chlorine gas never been low. Should I still add Stabilizer although my Free chlorine is good? Need help lol...

Welcome to the forum! :wave: Yes, you should consider increasing yoru CYA level (min 70) which will help protect the FC produced by your SWG. See the links below in my sig for Recommended Levels, CYA/Chlorine Chart, and others to help you get that adjusted. Also make sure to update your own signature with all of your pool and equipment info, to include which test kit you have. All of that will help us later. Have a great weekend. :swim:

Thanks for the info. Very helpful. I will update my equipment and test Kit as well. I was also paranoid about adding the stabilizer due to clog ups that I hear. I guess the best way would be using a sock or mixing it in a bucket and putting it through the skimmer. What are your thoughts on that?

Add the CYA by using what we call the sock method. Get an old sock (no holes) and put the measured amount of CYA you need. Tie the sock closed and either suspend it in front of a return (hang it from your brush pole works with something weighted on the deck) OR if it still allows flow thru the skimmer, place the sock in the skimmer. Every 15/20 minutes give the sock a squeeze to speed up the process. Please DO NOT follow the directions on the container of CYA to just pour it into the skimmer and don't just toss the sock in the pool as the CYA is acidic and can bleach/stain pool finishes.

Reactions: pewl

I do what Marty recommends, but instead of an old sock (I don't have any old socks without holes :)) I use women's knee-high hose... They are cheap and I find that they work about 5 x easier and faster than a sock.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: jtpipkin
Thanks for the info guys (y) yes some of the directions on the back of the bag scare me. I will try the sock method for sure. My Local pool store tells me just to dump it in the skimmer and not to worry about it. Definitely not going to do that. Do I let my system run for 24 hours why the Stabilizer is in the sock?

I use women's knee-high hose...
So ….. Jim, about those nylons …….ahhhhhhh …..... uuummmmmmmm……. never mind.

I owed him a "poke" from yesterday. :D

I use the sock method as well. Works great. Keeping it in the sock allows it to dissolve and prevent the granuales from resting on the pool surface. They are a bit acidic after all. Once you squeeze the sock, the stabilizer oozes out and dissipates nicely.

It is best to keep your pump running while the CYA in the sock is dissolving. It will go fairly quickly as long as you squeeze it every so often.

Can you fill out your Signature? Helps us help you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.