Adding stabilizer if using tablets (day 1)?

Zone

May 25, 2020
Chicago
I am going to be filling up an intex 18x48 this weekend. First time owning a pool and been doing as much reading as possible.

This is a 3-4 month pool, and if the kids like it will use it again next year.

I was planning on using the floating chlorine tabs from Sams Club which I believe has stabilizer in it. On day 1 do I still put in stabilizer and chlorine or just start using the floating tablets?

My PH is pretty neutral already.

As for test kits I know the TFT-1000 is the top of the line, anything less expensive I can get by with?

An 18' round by 48" deep pool has a lot of water.

You can treat it as a Seasonal pool, see Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools - Trouble Free Pool
You may have to drain it a couple times through out the summer. Up to you.

We still do not recommend using the trichlor tablets. The CYA will build too high in less than a month and your pool will not be in good chemistry shape.

An 18' round by 48" deep pool has a lot of water.

You can treat it as a Seasonal pool, see Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools - Trouble Free Pool
You may have to drain it a couple times through out the summer. Up to you.

We still do not recommend using the trichlor tablets. The CYA will build too high in less than a month and your pool will not be in good chemistry shape.

Well draining it once would cost more than buying the proper test kit I guess!

So do you recommend treating it as a non-seasonal pool?

Again, up to you. If you get cloudy water or algae, you will drain. Did you read the Seasonal pool article I linked?

What is the volume of the pool?

It’s kind of a darned if you do, darned of you don’t sort of thing. If you don’t add some stabilizer right away then you’ll likely have problems keeping up your chlorine levels as the sun will burn it away pretty quickly. But as you’re probably aware, using tabs can cause your CYA levels to go too high and that will also cause problems with chlorination. So if you add extra stabilizer to start with then your CYA levels will just get too high even more quickly.

It’s kind of a darned if you do, darned of you don’t sort of thing. If you don’t add some stabilizer right away then you’ll likely have problems keeping up your chlorine levels as the sun will burn it away pretty quickly. But as you’re probably aware, using tabs can cause your CYA levels to go too high and that will also cause problems with chlorination. So if you add extra stabilizer to start with then your CYA levels will just get too high even more quickly.

So the best option would be to buy stabilizer...get it up to the right level...and then use liquid chlorine? I have a menards by me with plenty of 12% chlorine so that wont be an issue to get assuming it is the right product.

The pool is right under 7k gallons.

Correct. You just explained maintenance using TFPC. With testing to tell you what the pool needs.

If you fill the pool before getting the kit, add 3 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine at filling. Dissolve 30 ppm CYA using the sock method. Add 3 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine every day until you get your test kit and can run all the tests.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you fill the pool before getting the kit, add 3 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine at filling. Dissolve 30 ppm CYA using the sock method. Add 3 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine every day until you get your test kit and can run all the tests.

Thanks. So once I get it stabilized how often should I expect to put liquid chlorine in the pool? How long does it usually take to get stabilized?

You will add chlorine every day.
The CYA will dissolve in a day or less and then be able to be tested a couple days after.

Every day during swim season. You said you were taking the pool down this fall. Once your pool water temperature reaches 60F the chlorine demand slows way down.

If you are going to be away for a few days, use the tablets in a floater. But be sure to test and account for the CYA added.

Every day during swim season. You said you were taking the pool down this fall. Once your pool water temperature reaches 60F the chlorine demand slows way down.

If you are going to be away for a few days, use the tablets in a floater. But be sure to test and account for the CYA added.

Got the pool up and running adding chlorine yesterday and CYA at night. The CYA dissolved via the sock method real quick just did some testing with the TF-100.

One quick question can I use the speed stirrer for the chlorine test not sure why one vial is labeled chlorine only using the speed stirrer vial can I do all the test?

FC - 5.0
CC- 0
TA - 140
CH - 175
CYA - 30

I am having trouble reading he PH I believe it is higher than the 8.2

Yep, you can use the Speed Stir for every test that requires stirring. Use the one tube for the chlorine test, the other tube for the rest. Rinse the Speed Stir “pill” between tests.

Some buy another pill so they don’t have to interrupt testing to rinse it. I should, just haven’t gotten around to it!

If your pH color match is 8 (or you might think higher), then input 8 for pH in Poolmath. Target 7.4. Be sure your TA test result is saved in Poolmath. Poolmath will tell you how much of the acid you tell it you will be using to add to the pool. Add the acid, at the return of the water into the pool. Circulate for 30 minutes and test TA and pH again.

Got the pool up and running adding chlorine yesterday and CYA at night. The CYA dissolved via the sock method real quick just did some testing with the TF-100.

One quick question can I use the speed stirrer for the chlorine test not sure why one vial is labeled chlorine only using the speed stirrer vial can I do all the test?

FC - 5.0
CC- 0
TA - 140
CH - 175
CYA - 30

I am having trouble reading he PH I believe it is higher than the 8.2
I bought extra stirbars off ebay. They're 8X25mm. The CYA mixing bottle fits on the speedstir just fine. With the extra vial from the speedstir, I can run all the tests before I have to do any dishes.

Just dose the pool as if the pH is 8.2. If it's higher, you won't see the pH drop as far as you wanted and you just have to do it again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.