Adding stabiliser stopped SWG "Check Salt" error, why?

Jan 8, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Hi,

I've had a permanent "Check Salt" error on my Tri pH SWG for months (salt level was fine, checked using salt drop test), I recently checked my CYA level, it was real low, I added 2kg of dry stabiliser and for the first time in ages I was able to clear the "Check Salt" error, why?

Thanks.
Richard

What is the actual salinity?

A: 4400ppm

What test kit are you using?

A: Salt Detection Test Kit – Clear Choice Labs

You should never rely on a single salinity test.

A: I haven't, at least 3 tests in the last 6 months as we have had a ton of rain.

I always want at least two independent salt tests that are in close agreement.

A: Salt has always been around 4000ppm +/- 10%

What is the water temperature now and has it warmed up recently?

A: 28°C, we are over half way through summer now so it's been ~28°C for a couple of months.

How old is the cell?

A: 2yo

Is the cell clean?

A: Yes

When I say that I always want at least two independent salt tests that are in close agreement, I mean two different test methods like a drop test and a conductivity test meter.

In any case, I don't know of any reason that adding CYA would fix a Low Salt error.

Can you check the voltage and current going to the cell?

Reactions: rthorntn
Also, you can't conclude that adding CYA had anything to do with the cell working now.

There were also a thousand other things you did the day before the cell began to work and you can just as easily conclude that one of those things caused the cell to begin working.

Maybe you bought your dog a new brand of dogfood, or mowed your lawn or a million other things and you might assert that one of those things fixed the problem.

Correlation does not prove causation, especially a one time correlation.

Reactions: rthorntn
Thanks, the cells have always worked (it's on its 3rd cell), afaik it creates chlorine gas properly, I just thought the chlorinator had developed a fault in the conductivity salt check circuit, the chlorinator is around 8yo and has a few LCD gremlins now as well.

It must have been something else that fixed it then, I'm 95% certain that there was nothing wrong with the actual salt level when I was getting that error, I have also checked it with salt check strips. My CCL salt test kit calibration fluid tests correctly and so I'm pretty confident on that.

Gremlins!!!

Reactions: Newdude and JamesW
How did you add the stabilizer? The A in CYA is acid. I'm wondering if maybe you added it with a sock in the skimmer and the low pH flow through your equipment dissolved something that was coating the sensor. This is just a WAG. As @JamesW said there's no easy explanation.

My old chlorinator had a permanent low salt error for a long time. It sometimes disappeared for a while after adding acid. Never really understood why, just describing what I was observing.

2kg CYA would have some impact on pH (what's your pool volume?). As I said, don't know why, but pH seemed to have an influence in my case. I assume "Tri pH" means that you have automated acid dosing? Your pH is therefore probably normally pretty stable?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.