Adding MA every day or get a dosing pump.

Where are you trying to keep your pH? My guess is that if you let your pH rest at 7.8, you will use a lot less acid..

I would dose every day for a couple of weeks and see how well it works and how much effort it is. Then you will know the answer

Thanks,

Jim R.

Where are you trying to keep your pH? My guess is that if you let your pH rest at 7.8, you will use a lot less acid..

I would dose every day for a couple of weeks and see how well it works and how much effort it is. Then you will know the answer

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hi Jim,

Thanks, i have dosed for the last 2 weeks....i get it down to 7.2, then everyday it rises 0.2. Today it was at 8.0 so added 25oz of MA, now 7.4.

The reason i think i need a 'dosing pump' as I will not be home all the time, sometimes away fo 4-5-6 months and dont really want the family to do handling the Acid.

Thanks for your feedback

Your TA is the problem. The pool industry recommends 80-120 for Alkalinity, this is so they can keep selling you acid and buffer. For a home pool, that does not use an ORP sensor, you can let it drop to about 50, and that will usually mean a lot less pH movement.

Another thing that causes the pH to vary, if your pool has, water features, running them can increase pH through aeration.

Your TA is the problem. The pool industry recommends 80-120 for Alkalinity, this is so they can keep selling you acid and buffer. For a home pool, that does not use an ORP sensor, you can let it drop to about 50, and that will usually mean a lot less pH movement.

Another thing that causes the pH to vary, if your pool has, water features, running them can increase pH through aeration.
Hi thank you.
Now for about 2 weeks I have let PH go to 8.0 then add Acid to reduce to 7.2, but TA is still not reducing..following TFP suggestion.Although I know it can take time.. The problem is I will be leaving the pool soon and leaving it to family to take care... So I want to make it as easy as possible for them.. ( not adding MCmanually)...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wood,

I had similar issues initially. I was able to reduce acid consumption and frequency with 3 changes:
  • reduced run time for spill-over (reduces aeration which causes pH to climb).
  • added borate buffer.
  • operate in the high end of the TFP pH range while keeping a close eye on the CSI calculation in Pool Math. Staying slightly negative and never outside TFP recommended range. This seems to be working well for my swg cell. After one year of operation the cell has never been cleaned and looks brand new. Maintained 40% power since installation.
I never had to add acid daily but it was almost every other day. Now it's usually once per week.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

Wood,

I had similar issues initially. I was able to reduce acid consumption and frequency with 3 changes:
  • reduced run time for spill-over (reduces aeration which causes pH to climb).
  • added borate buffer.
  • operate in the high end of the TFP pH range while keeping a close eye on the CSI calculation in Pool Math. Staying slightly negative and never outside TFP recommended range. This seems to be working well for my swg cell. After one year of operation the cell has never been cleaned and looks brand new. Maintained 40% power since installation.
I never had to add acid daily but it was almost every other day. Now it's usually once per week.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

What are borate buffers?

What are borate buffers?
You can improve pH control with addition of boric acid or borate compounds. There are many other less tangible benefits but I can't say I've experienced them. Please read more here and let us know if you're interested and have any questions.

Chris

Reactions: atccf
You can improve pH control with addition of boric acid or borate compounds. There are many other less tangible benefits but I can't say I've experienced them. Please read more here and let us know if you're interested and have any questions.

Chris
Thanks Chris. I’m going to research this. We have dogs that get in the pool quite alot so that is another consideration.

Thanks Chris. I’m going to research this. We have dogs that get in the pool quite alot so that is another consideration.
at,

Pets are definitely and issue you need to look into. We don't have any at this time and seems there's contradictory information so if I had a pet I'd check thoroughly to be absolutely certain before doing this.

Chris

Reactions: atccf
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.