Adding DE with Algae in Pool

dvp

May 7, 2016
OKC, OK
Hi-

Sorry if this has been asked before, my pool is a bit of a hot mess right now because I did not do a great job over winter taking care of it. I am about to start the slamming process, but had a question about how to time what I am doing.

I am going to be taking apart and deep cleaning my DE filter. Normally when I am recharging my DE after a backwash I pour it through the skimmer, since the pool currently has algae should I re-add the DE through the skimmer after I deep clean the filter with the algae water or is there a better process for me to be following?

Sorry if the question is unclear, I can try to clarify if you all have any further questions...

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

You have to add the DE through the skimmer.

Honestly, if it was me, I would consider doing the SLAM first (backwash and recharge as required ... when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure) and then after you complete it, then tear down the filter and start fresh.

Good idea.

I was thinking about maybe doing that, but wasnt sure what the best practice was. Thanks for the advice!

- - - Updated - - -

one other question along these lines - my area is forecast to get 3 inches of rain through Saturday. I'm wanting to get this process started ASAP, but do you think I should hold until after this rain passes?

Rain does not really impact the SLAM process ... other than you getting a little wet.

You could drain your pool 3" (assuming you can still run your pump) and let the rain fill it back up if your CYA is on the high side.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
dvp,

Having two threads about the same subject is incredibly confusing to folks trying to help you. They are too long now to consolidate but please keep all future posts under this thread or the other.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

You have to add the DE through the skimmer.

Honestly, if it was me, I would consider doing the SLAM first (backwash and recharge as required ... when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure) and then after you complete it, then tear down the filter and start fresh.

If you haven't pulled it apart yet I would agree to wait. Backwash and recharge while you're in the thick of the fight.

Can't lie, I'm a bit nervous about this whole "deep clean the filter" process lol

I "deep" clean my DE filter a couple times a season. Its pretty simple. Backwash first to remove most stuff, remove cover, open drain valve, and spray grid with garden hose. You just need to stand there and spray into the nooks and crannys. At the end of the season I might take the filter assembly out and clean it. Some pro's even take the assembly apart, but thats a major PIA and not worth the time imho.

This year, when opened, I put the filter on recirculate and shocked my pool. Too much backwashing if I start the DE filter on opening day.

Last, what really pays dividends in the spring is to a) shock the pool a few days before closing and b) use those floating things that hold pucks (put in pool right before cover is put on). Also, if its been a week or so of temps in the 70s or 80s, time to open! (so more algae doesn't grow)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.