Adding DE to pool w/o skimmer basket

misha1082

Aug 6, 2019
Kingston, NY
I inherited an Intex metal frame pool, without any skimmer basket attachments, and hooked up a Hayward Perflex DE filter to it. I need to re-coat the filter, but cannot figure out how to add the DE slurry since I do not have the skimmer basket. There are two screened intakes. Any suggestions for how to add the DE? Can I add directly through the pump basket?

Thanks,
M

Pictures would help. How is your pump return plumbed? from a main drain? If so, you can add it that way. If you have some sort of side return, you could carefully load it through there. Don't worry if any spills into the pool, just sweep/brush until it is sucked in by the return and it will eventually coat the filter. I wouldn't add through the basket, you run the risk of clogging your pump suction and burning up your pump.

I would get a bucket filled with some DE, and hold it in the water in front of one of the returns going back to your pump. Shake the bucket to stir up the DE and let it get sucked into the return and then into your DE filter. Alternativly you could try to rig up some tubing to the connection in the pool and run it into a bucket with a DE/Water slurry and suck it in that way. With only suction sucking in DE and the other unobstructed, there is no chance of blocking flow to the pump and burning it up.

Your manual should list a 100% weight of DE for your size filter. For an initial load, you use that amount, for subsequent loads following a backwash, usually use 80% load. For the slurry, put some in a bucket and add water, mix. should be pretty thin, but if too thick don't worry, just go with it. if you spill some in the pool it doesn't matter, it will make it's way to the filter eventually.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.