Adding CYA with cartridge filter

Jul 20, 2013
Northeast
Hi there.

I have CYA in the sock in front of the return and have new set of cartridge filters waiting to be installed. How long should I wait before replacing cartridges? Pool water chemistry says "not backwash/clean the filter for a week", does the same recommendation apply to cartridge replacement?

Also, I could be wrong but I believe squeezing the sock was not really recommended a few years back and I believe it used to say CYA will take a week to register, now it says it can be tested after 24 hours.

I use two socks (one inside another, no holes), is it ok to squeeze it all out within a few minutes and be done with it? Will CYA reading be accurate 24 hours later or should I wait longer?

My chlorine usage seems to be a little high, although overnight loss is 1ppm. My testing shows 30ppm, leslie's 40, but I lose 5-5.5ppm during sunny day. I aim at 40ppm, it worked best for me in the past and now it's recommended.

thanks

Go ahead and change filters. The only CYA you'll lose is the small amount in the water that drains out when you are in the filter.

Squeeze away.

And after several years' experience, it was discovered that in the overwhelming number of cases that CYA registers fully within 24 hours after it's all dissolved, so the one week recommendation was changed. There's nothing wrong with waiting longer if you're the suspicious type.

You could run Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to rule out organics before you raise CYA, just in case it turns out you need to SLAM.

Go ahead and change filters. The only CYA you'll lose is the small amount in the water that drains out when you are in the filter.

Squeeze away.

And after several years' experience, it was discovered that in the overwhelming number of cases that CYA registers fully within 24 hours after it's all dissolved, so the one week recommendation was changed. There's nothing wrong with waiting longer if you're the suspicious type.

You could run Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to rule out organics before you raise CYA, just in case it turns out you need to SLAM.
Thanks Richard

My overnight loss is 1ppm, cc 0

I'm still battling with CYA. Added 4 cups 24 hours ago, CYA went up by only 5ppm. I expected about 10ppm (according to chart 12k, 10ppm, 1lb. My pool is about 23k, 4 cups should be 2lb)

What's the shelf life for the Clorox Pool&Spa Chlorine stabilizer? Purchased 2-3 years ago.

thanks.

Last edited:
I think it's highly unlikely that you got a bad batch of CYA. From what I understand, it's not something that "goes bad", as long as you've kept it stored properly (dry).

It's more likely that you had less CYA in the water to start than you anticipated. Same thing happened to me this year when I attempted to bring my CYA level up at the beginning of the season. What was your CYA level before trying to increase it by 10?

I think it's highly unlikely that you got a bad batch of CYA. From what I understand, it's not something that "goes bad", as long as you've kept it stored properly (dry).

It's more likely that you had less CYA in the water to start than you anticipated. Same thing happened to me this year when I attempted to bring my CYA level up at the beginning of the season. What was your CYA level before trying to increase it by 10?

Every time I have added, I never see expected results for 2-3 days.

FWIW, I opened at 30 and was losing chlorine at a similar rate. 40 didn’t help much. I just went to 50 last night.
One of my stabilizer 4lb bottles was opened prior season. Obviously the bottle was closed, but may be it wasn't closed tight enough.

I have 2 cya mixing bottles (from tf100 kits) and I compare the current test to one from before, making sure I'm comparing in the same conditions. I shake both, let sit for 30 seconds, shake again then compare. That's how I know I'm getting 5pm instead of expected 10ppm. I don't know if test from day or two ago is a valid test or not, but my readings of that test are the same.

I keep losing about 4-4.5ppm a day with overnight loss of 1ppm and cc 0-0.5. I don't know if this is normal for 30-35 cya

I'll test CYA again in a couple of days, see if cya rises.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't know. There are lots of possibilities. It is certainly possible that that strength of the bleach that is being sold is not typical of years past. With all of the COVID noise and people wanting to disinfect everything, anything is possible.
Not in my case. I tested chlorine 1hr after adding it. It is good.

Either my stabilizer is not working for some reason or I have some bacteria which consumes it, while it's not detectable with FAS-DPD test. My overnight chlorine loss is 1ppm with cc 0-0.5.
I'll get another 4lb Clorox stabilizer will see if it works. Meanwhile I messaged Clorox, hope they reply today

Just wanted to update - I got the same Clorox Stabilizer from Lowe's and this time it worked like it should - 2lb added about 10ppm.

My old ones were from Walmart, same thing just different lid color

So, I guess the stabilizer does go bad after some time.

Last edited:
hmm.. Stabilzer is supposed to be one of the chems that is fairly inert and doesn't degrade in storage. I tend to by a big box that lasts me 2 or 3 years. I wonder if the Walmart one was just a bad batch.
The one from Walmart may have been few years old.
Adding it had little affect. Since containers are not sealed, maybe the ones I had were a diluted Walmart return... who knows

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.