Adding CYA - we already have a hairnet on our skimmer - do we need to use a sock, too?

poolnoobgrandma

Gold Supporter
Sep 15, 2018
Seminole, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Thanks again to whoever suggested using hairnets on the skimmer. They are the bomb diggity! I am going to add some CYA. If I have a hairnet in the skimmer, do I still need to put it in a sock?

Thanks!

The hairnet (aka skimmer sock) is there to catch debris before it gets to the main filter. The sock-method of adding stabilizer is different. See here ...
Adding CYA:
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

pngm,

I find that using ladies knee-high stockings work much better than any "sock"... You just add the amount of CYA you want and tie the top shut.. You can then throw it in the skimmer basket if you want, but I like to hang in in front of a running pool return(eyeball)... When empty, you just throw the Knee-high away..

Thanks,

Jim R.

We ue
pngm,

I find that using ladies knee-high stockings work much better than any "sock"... You just add the amount of CYA you want and tie the top shut.. You can then throw it in the skimmer basket if you want, but I like to hang in in front of a running pool return(eyeball)... When empty, you just throw the Knee-high away..

Thanks,

Jim R.
We used a knee hi the first time and it worked perfectly. ? I wasn't sure if the hairnet we use in the skimmer basket would serve the same purpose. I guess socks or knee-highs it is!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.