Adding CYA and freaking out at the results

look30

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Mar 22, 2018
San Jose/CA
I tested the water after the rainy season we had here in California and CYA showed 0. Repeated the test at Leslie's and result was also 0 . Pool is about 34000 gal so the recommended amount to add is 19 lb to reach 70 ppm. Already added the 19 lb, last scoop today, and reading is off the charts probably 150 using Taylor. Should I freak out or wait ? I read on the Leslie's stuff that I should wait 72 hrs to measure.

Remeasure, then freak out. :mrgreen:

The bad news is that if you had 15 or 20, it could be interpreted as zero. And if the sample was cold, it wouldn';t react properly with the test solution so it would also read low.

So you could have overshot some. Double? Unlikely.
I'm gonna re-test tomorrow ... fingers crossed , maybe water sample was from a pool of CYA.. lol. This gonna suck....

Are you sure about the pool volume?

What are the dimensions and depth?
Good question , previous owner said 35000 gal. I did all calculation for 33000 to be safe. Pool is kidney and pretty deep so can't measure and calculate.
I re-did the measurement with water form different part of pool and same result. Seems that I overshoot by a lot. Don't understand why, maybe the pool is not 33000.... see picture of the level.

Attachments

• CYA.jpeg
    CYA.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 31
There are multiple possibilities.

Wrong pool volume.
Test error on initial test.
Test error on recent test.
Or, maybe some of each.

In any case, a good rule is always add about 1/2 the amount of any chemical and retest before adding more.

Remeasure, then freak out. :mrgreen:

The bad news is that if you had 15 or 20, it could be interpreted as zero. And if the sample was cold, it wouldn';t react properly with the test solution so it would also read low.

So you could have overshot some. Double? Unlikely.

How cold, is too cold for a CYA test? I've read that temperature has an impact. I've been bringing a water sample in the house, and letting it sit on the counter 30-60 minutes for my CYA tests. Just kind of wondering how cold is too cold. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How cold, is too cold for a CYA test? I've read that temperature has an impact. I've been bringing a water sample in the house, and letting it sit on the counter 30-60 minutes for my CYA tests. Just kind of wondering how cold is too cold. Thanks!
I think anything above 70F should be warm enough. I don't think anyone here has ever experimented and found the magic number. I can't find a reference in Extended Test Kit Directions Archives - Trouble Free Pool either!

Further googling found this, where Taylor says " t’s also widely known that CYA testing of low-temp water will provide false-low test results (even at water temperatures in the 60s) because the speed in which the precipitate forms is slowed down tremendously. " but they don't say how warm to get it.

Do pool or spa water samples have to be at "room temperature" before testing begins?
With one exception, no. Our lab has run the pH, total alkalinity, calcium hardness, free chlorine, and cyanuric acid tests on known standard solutions at approximately 104°F, 75°F, 60°F, and 40°F. Only at 40°F did the CYA standard solution test higher than its actual value (after accounting for test variability). All other tests were unaffected by temperature differences.

Questions In Our Pool/Spa Mailbag

Reactions: mickey4paws
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.