Adding CL to a closed pool

pb4uswim

Jul 23, 2020
Michigan
I will be closing a bit early. I plan to bring the pool up to SLAM level and not use polyquat. In reading this forum, some mentioned checking the CL monthly (assuming until it’s real cold/freezing) and adding CL if needed. My question is about adding CL without the pump. I’m also wondering how hard it is to get under the cover. I haven’t seen my cover yet (new pool). It’s a safety mesh cover.

Any advice on checking and adding CL to a closed pool?

I’m also planning on putting a tarp over the mesh cover to keep as much stuff out of it until winter as possible.

How are you securing the cover ? If its with the spring loaded straps you will pop a couple off to have enough room to add chlorine (question 2) and brush it around to mix it (question 1). If you are tying the cover down or wrapping the pool with rope or steel cable you won't be able to undo a small section without the whole thing getting loose. Being in Michigan it should be plenty cold enough to not need to do it monthly. Plan on doing it at the first thaw just to get you into the spring and then open up early before the algae reaches its growing temp (60).

I’m assuming it will be spring loaded. So I guess snapping them open is relatively easy - good.

As for brushing to distribute, do you just swoosh it around a bit so it doesn’t settle to the bottom, or do you churn the water for awhile (several minutes) to try to distribute it?

Yes, Michigan is cold, but I’m planning on closing soon. Would it make more sense to keep an eye on the temp? At least until spring? I guess it makes sense that even closing early that SLAM level CL should last until the weather cools down.

do you just swoosh it around a bit so it doesn’t settle to the bottom,
Exactly that.
So I guess snapping them open is relatively easy - good.
Yup. If you have the right leverage they come right off. It may take you a few tries to find the way that works for you.
I guess it makes sense that even closing early that SLAM level CL should last until the weather cools down.
Once covered the SLAM FC will last a while for sure, so maybe check it monthly for now until the average air temps are well under 60.

Reactions: pb4uswim
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.