Adding chlorine and acid daily

wille

Bronze Supporter
Sep 20, 2019
Sarasota, FL
I do a full T-100 test weekly on my pool here in Florida, where it is 93* daily with 100% humidity. I make any/all additions that are called for. I go in the pool early in the day for a few minutes to cool off after our morning walk, so not a lot of bodies in the water. I do a pH and FC test daily, as recommended. I need to add 2 cups of both acid and chlorine each day. Is that normal? Should I make any adjustments? I have a 3400 reading on my Salt. Is there any other information that I can provide?

Hello and welcome. Can you post a full round of test results?

2 cups (16 oz) of acid daily sounds high. And 2 cups (16oz) of chlorine daily also sounds high, especially with a SWG. How long are you running your SWG for?

Curious as to why you added baking soda to raise TA so high? This is the reason you have to add acid daily I think. About 50 to 90 for TA is fine.
Usually when your TA is somewhere near that range the PH stabilizes a bit and rises much slower.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am adding chlorine, as the Pool Math app says to do so. Should I just be increasing the pool chlorinator?
Correct. Adjust the SWCG % generation and/or the pump run time so that the SWCG generates the chlorine each day that your pool consumes. Raise your FC to target range for your CYA first.

Reactions: wille
I am adding chlorine, as the Pool Math app says to do so. Should I just be increasing the pool chlorinator?
Yup on increasing swg time or %. The app knows you need CL but can’t tell you how much to increase swg.
According to logs your TA was 60 and PH 8 I think. No need to add so much baking soda at 60 I don’t think.

Sidebar for my learning.

The brochure for the Hayward T-Cell it produces chlorine as Trichlor. Is that correct?

View attachment 149949
No. The SWCG creates chlorine gas that dissolves into the pool water.

That is Haywards weird marketing speak on how to show what amount chlorine that SWCG creates.

The plaster is not new and it is screen enclosed, but no roof to block sunlight.
I forgot about pool logs. Your acid demand is from adding unnecessary baking soda, not curing plaster. No permanent harm done. And I didn't see that yours is a SWG pool, I was comparing your usage to my same-sized pool. You shouldn't need supplemental bleach at all, but I think that's been covered now. .

On May 5, with TA of 80, you added 22 oz of baking soda. Why?? Let it drop to 50 if it wants.

Elevated TA causes your pH to rise over time, especially combined with aeration. Reduce aeration sources as you are able - reducing water feature runtime, re-aiming jets, etc. And stop adding baking soda when your TA is above 50.

W,

Most saltwater pools like their pH to be about 7.8.. I suggest that you quit trying to reduce it to 7.2. I would not drop it below 7.6..

As far as TA goes.. as long at your TA does not drop below 50 ppm then I would not worry about it.

When your pH gets to 8.0 then drop it back to 7.6.. Over time your TA will come down.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.