Adding Chlorine after getting out of hot tub

Oct 6, 2018
Bay City, MI
I was just wondering if anyone had a rule for the amount chlorine to add when getting out of the hot tub. I.E. two people in for one hour add X ounces of chlorine. I ask because last week we had 4 people in for about 2 hours, I added 2 ounces when we got out. Checked it the next morning and it was 0. Seamed like it used a ton of chlorine over the next few days. Just wondering if there is some sort of chart to follow to counter act this. Thanks in advance

See JasonLion's and Chem Geek's answer here Chlorine consumption per bather

From the thread:

You don't measure in ppm, because chlorine usage per person/hour is an absolute amount, while 1 ppm varies with the tub size.
For a hot (104ºF) spa it's roughly 9 grams of chlorine (in weight Cl2) per person-hour which translates to 3-1/2 teaspoons of Dichlor or 5 fluid ounces of 6% bleach or 3-1/2 fluid ounces of 8.25% bleach or 7 teaspoons of non-chlorine shock (43% MPS -- a disinfectant only with silver ions as with Nature2).

According to my pool math calculations, this is also 3 fl oz of 10% bleach, or 2.5 oz of 12% chlorine.

So the rule of thumb for me is 5 fl oz of 6% bleach per person-hour. This seems to be pretty accurate in my tub.

Last edited:
I usually dont have to add any chlorine at all with my SWG at 2800ppm salinity. It can handle my 30-45 minutes per night all by itself.. Once i throw the wife and kids in there then I need to start suplementing, about 4 oz (6% bleach) after each family soak :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.