Adding Calcium Chloride and Baking Soda

Ripple

Bronze Supporter
Aug 11, 2020
North Georgia
My CH tested at 175 and TA at 50 this morning. I picked up a bucket of calcium chloride and a bag of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda this afternoon. According to Pool Math, 25 lbs of calcium chloride will bump my CH from 175 to 260 and 9 lbs, 6 oz will bump TA from 50 to 70. I am new at this and this is my first time adding any chemicals other than liquid chlorine. My pool water is crystal clear and I don't want to mess anything up on Labor Day weekend so thought I would double check with you all. Is there any particular order and/or time between that I add the calcium chloride and Baking Soda? I decided to try and move numbers to the bottom end of the suggested range and then test again so that I don't overdo it. I appreciate your feedback.

Do you have issues with an unstable pH? If not, no need for the baking soda. Let it be.

Calcium chloride add in small batches. Pool School says to broadcast across the deep end. Brush as necessary to dissolve. Some members dissolve in a bucket. That is NOT recommended, as it is an exothermic reaction. It gets really HOT.

I would say add half the calcium over a couple days, then let it be for a couple days, then test to confirm what is needed.

Reactions: Ripple
Don't do both on the same day. Do the calcium one day and the bicarb the following day.

Do you really need to raise the TA?

Unless your pH is going too low, I would leave the TA alone.

Do you have issues with an unstable pH? If not, no need for the baking soda. Let it be.

Calcium chloride add in small batches. Pool School says to broadcast across the deep end. Brush as necessary to dissolve. Some members dissolve in a bucket. That is NOT recommended, as it is an exothermic reaction. It gets really HOT.

I would say add half the calcium over a couple days, then let it be for a couple days, then test to confirm what is needed.

Honestly, I don't have enough experience with the pH to know how much it fluctuates. I will get some more time/testing before making any change. Will also add the CC as suggested. Thanks.

Having just pestered Marty while freaking out about a really low TA test result, only to learn five minutes later that I did the test wrong... You might double check the CH test before dosing for that. Or have someone else do the test to confirm your results (a blind study!). Measure twice, cut once, as they say. And even then heed Marty's advice about adding only half in first, then retest.

You want to sneak up on the target amount, and not overshoot. Because if you do, you can't treat high CH, you have to exchange water to get rid of it.

Edit: you got it. We were typing at the same time!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.