Adding cal hypo to skimmer

Blake106

In The Industry
Jan 8, 2020
Hawaii
I have been adding cal hypo to the skimmer for a long time with no issues and was just wondering if it’s safe for the sand in the filter and would the filter capture anything that’s undissolved and stay in there until backwashed or will it all get dissolved eventually?

TFPC recommends never adding any chemical directly to a skimmer. Cal Hypo is a solid that is not doing the pump impeller any favors.

The calcium will dissolve if trapped in the filter.

Reactions: Blake106
Adding chemicals to a skimmer is never a good idea but cal-hypo is probably the least dangerous of the bunch to add to a skimmer. If the filter is dirty and you hit it with a giant slug of chlorine from cal-hypo you're much more likely to create a surge of nasty chloramines coming out of the returns and causing the “gross chlorine pool” smell. Better to predissolve in a bucket of water and then add it in front of a deep end return with the pump on high speed. Then just sweep around any granules that might fall to the bottom.

Reactions: Blake106
Adding chemicals to a skimmer is never a good idea but cal-hypo is probably the least dangerous of the bunch to add to a skimmer. If the filter is dirty and you hit it with a giant slug of chlorine from cal-hypo you're much more likely to create a surge of nasty chloramines coming out of the returns and causing the “gross chlorine pool” smell. Better to predissolve in a bucket of water and then add it in front of a deep end return with the pump on high speed. Then just sweep around any granules that might fall to the bottom.
I did try the bucket method today with a little bit of undissolved granules that feel to the bottom like you mentioned. This is a colored plaster pool and the reason why I've been adding directly the skimmer is because I’m really concerned about bleaching the plaster. Is it ok if they sit on the bottom for like 10 seconds before sweeping? I’m worried that over time it will start to turn white if it keeps happening in the same spot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.