Adding a return line for I ground pool when replacing liner.

Psymon

Jul 28, 2012
Ok this may be a unique question but wanted to get the input of the pros on here.
We have a rectangle inground liner pool 18’x36’ that came with the house. Appears to have been installed in the late 80s. We have used it for a few years with not many issues. The liner went this past winter and we are looking to get it replaced. Now when the pool was installed they put skimmer and two return lines all on the same wall closest to the house/pool pump. The pool works ok but probably not the most efficient the way it’s set up. I was thinking of adding a return line on the far wall since the liner is getting ripped out anyway. Is this doable without breaking up the concrete decking. Has anyone dug under the deck to add a return pipe?
Thanks

Could you post a few pictures and the width of the deck, As well as how deep the return would be?

Without seeing it or knowing the width of the deck my first thought would be it would be easier to just cut the deck and re-pour it.. no real way of telling how much steel is in the deck if any and how thick it is to know if it will crack or not if it is undermined. The wider the deck the more chance of it cracking obviously, and the skinnier the deck the easier it is to cut and redo the concrete.

Reactions: bdavis466
I’m no expert but the only non deck cutting way I know of is to use a boring ‘missle’. The utilities use them for replacing underground lines without having to trench and some trades people also have them for running electric under a driveway/patio. In theory it could work in the pool by drilling a hole through the shell and into the dirt behind it. Then they would stick the missle in and it would work it’s way across the patio (under it) and they would dig it out on the other side and trench the rest. It creates a lot of pounding / vibration and very well could crack the deck like you are looking to avoid. Also a company that has this ability may not want to do it on such a small scale, Or you may not be willing to pay them what they charge.

search google for ‘trenchless drilling or directional boring’. You have probably seen these bigger machines working in the street but they make smaller devices that are basically a snake like vibrator that is powered by a compressor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.