Adding a IC60 to a system with no automation and an IntelliFlo VS

wgs

May 7, 2015
LANOKA HARBOR, NJ
Hi,
I have a 30k gallon vinyl liner IG pool that I am planning to convert to salt. I currently have a Pentair Quad DE 100 and the IntelliFlo VS. I have ordered an IC60 with a power center and will be installing it soon. Looking through the manual, it seems that it is intended to be used either in an automation system or with a pool timer. I have looked through some threads and am still a little confused about how to do the install. I do not use an external timer and instead use the built in scheduler on the pump. Currently I run the pump 24 hours a day at various speeds. Since the pump is always flowing would it be correct to just keep the salt generator on 24 hours a day, or do I need to get into automation to take advantage of the VS pump? If I go with Automation, would the pentair intelliconnect work? I currently don't have heat, but would like the ability to add it. I don't have any water features currently and would just need the simplest way for the IC60, IntelliFlo VS and a future heater to work together.
Thanks,
Bill

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
Bill,

You do not need timer if you run your pump 24/7. You just don't what to apply power to the cell's power supply unless the pump is running..

Thanks

Jim R

Divin Dave

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 2, 2013
Longview, Texas
Wgs,
I have an intelliflo and SWG , and I run my pump 24/7 too.
What I did, because I like reliable simplicity, is install an intermatic timer to run only the SWG.

I just tapped the power wire to the intermatic timer, from the Power wires running to the pump.
A little bit of wire, a Double Gang J Box to make the splice in and a couple of pieces of Flex Conduit and conduit connectors and viola. It's a pretty simple DIY if you're handy with that kind of stuff.

Newdude

Jun 16, 2019
NY
Hi ive been lurking here for ages but joined to tell you that this is my exact setup. 6 years ago when my pool was built i was told to either run the pump full throtlle for 6 hours, or just a trickle 24/7. We liked the look of the water moving so originally decided on the 24/7. It worked so well (and cheap) that i never wanted to change. I change rpms occasionally plus or minus a few hundred but at 1400 rpms, my pump uses 220 watts. I start the season with the ic60 at 20% and bump to 40% when it gets hot. If the mid summer is real hot i may go to 60% for a week or two and then back to 40%. By September i am back to 20% until the octobor leaves force me to close the pool. 2 times in 6 years it was so hot with direct sunshine for a week or two that i needed to add stabilizer to keep my FC from burning off.

Last edited: