Adding a heat pump to a heated pool

dhodson

Gold Supporter
Apr 21, 2019
atlanta ga
I have a 40k gallon pool with associated hot tub. I use the heater to bring the hot tub to 104 but usually don’t heat the pool. I’d like to greatly expand my pool season and wanted to know if adding a heat pump and setting it to 85 in the Atlanta area would be worthwhile or excessively expensive/create difficulties? Any pearls or thoughts on this?

What model gas heater do you have?

Different gas heaters have different recommendations on how to run a gas heater and a HP on the same pool.

I am skeptical that there is a payback on the HP cost + electrical cost to heat the pool versus the incremental gas cost to heat the pool.

Do you have an automation system that can control both a gas heater and a HP?

Thx for the reply

I’ll have to check what heater we have at home

Currently it’s a Hayward prologic motherboard but no further automation although I’m not opposed to adding that too.

We are vacationing at isle of palms and the small pool/hot tub here at the rental house has it. It’s a new build and my pool is over 10 years old so I didn’t know if this is a “new thing”.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.