adding a fountain

scout123

Bronze Supporter
Feb 18, 2018
Northwest GA
Can I use the second intake (currently I have it plugged), and the filter/pump that came with the pool to set up a fountain?

And if I can, anybody have directions to making one with pvc? In my head, it seems like it would be fairly easy, but all of my projects seem easy before I actually undertake them:p
Thanks

If you have a plugged pipe from the equipment pad I’m sure a little creativity and plumbing could make it a fountain.

A little more description and a couple of photos may help.

But, remember that a fountain will cause your pH to rise. If you check out Pool School you will find that one of the recommended ways to raise pH is thru using a fountain. I guess what I’m saying is, if you leave it running all the time you may be adding more acid to keep the pH in check.....

There are a ton of YouTube videos on this. Most of them use a 24” section of tubing with holes drilled in a row for the fountain. I’m considering expanding out to a 3” or 4” fitting with several holes in it for my fountain.

I’m going to use the original pump for mine as well, I bought a much bigger pump and sand filter for mine.

I had read that about the PH rising. I think I'd have to try it and see how much and how often it rises to the point of having to lower it. It might be worth it if it's not too often. hmmm need to think about it. Will go have a look at YouTube, and thanks for the link Maddie. That fountain looks really nice. Using the graph paper for the holes is genius.

I just added a couple of DIY fountains to help cool ours down. Your connections maybe different of course. The concept wouldn’t. I added the coupler so I could make changes to the towers if needed and so I could make them as y’all as I wanted. I used a high speed reciprocal tool to cut a few thin spray outlets to get the water as fine as I could. You could also use a dremel style tool. I may make some modifications. I wish I had angled the sprayers upward and used a horizontal orientation. It’s working for now, already down 5 degrees after 2 mornings of operation for about 2 hours each time.
2697d7417b84f3ae4e81dc4fb7cf9de8.jpg
caaf18d1738255c1a44f9d579589fa0e.jpg
06fa07d9c8213527f566dbbf0e0f56a0.jpg

Just completed hard plumbing the pool and decided to go with a tee off the return line so the fountain is operated as well as the return eye. The throw is 8' with the return eye on and 22' with it switched off completely. Here I used a union valve to control and remove the fountain, then the tee between the two sprayers is a 2" and 2" with 1.5" input (all slip). I put in a 2" slip to 1.5" female threaded adapter on either side so that the sprayers could use a male 1.5" coupling to adjust angle and be removed. Will be experimenting with other fountain attachments. I found with my pool that once I got TA down to 60, the pH increase is extremely slow (I may check the rain pH to see if that is helping!).

33597100_1964808016886083_7322663504442294272_n.jpg

Reactions: Aarow162

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There are as many ways to build these as there are people who build them! My contribution: don't glue the PVC.* That way you can twist and turn the pieces, add or subtract the pieces, and/or replace the drilled pieces with different drill patterns and hole sizes, to your heart's content!

* The only caveat: if your fountain is situated in such a way that one of the joints could come apart for some reason and pump water outside of the pool, then glue that one...

I want it for the sound, especially when i sitting on the deck in the evenings.

Azide, Thanks for the details. Your fountain looks nice.

Hey! Thanks! If you want something that sounds more gentle than what I did, use more holes and a lower drill bit size. I used a 3/16" bit, perhaps a 1/8" or 1/16" would be better, I spaced them 1" ... was in a hurry to put the fountains together for the kids. Since they are removable (heavy duty teflon tape, I will be experimenting with smaller holes and with slits (more like a waterfall effect I hope).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.