Added what I thought was bleach but test results did not change

Mar 31, 2013
TN
It has been hotter than burnt rubber around here for the last couple of weeks and haven't been able to keep my FC level up since I had a pump issue (another story but fixed now) and had to shut the pump down for a day. That day my FC level went down to .5 or 1 and I haven't been able to get it back up. I ran the pump day and night for several nights but it still is .5-1 range.

I went and bought some Chlorox Pool and Spa Green Algae control which has 10% benzyl-C12-16-alkyldimethly in it that I assumed was bleach. I added it late yesterday afternoon and checked FC level this morning, it was still .5. So I got to looking at the chemical make up of true Chlorox bleach and it shows it is Sodium Hypochlorite. I am thinking I did not add 10% bleach with the Green Algae control stuff, correct??

I am trying to get my core FC level back up to 4-5 and let my SWG keep it there.

Any suggestions on what I need to do. Maybe go get some true bleach if the Green Algae stuff isn't bleach. If it is bleach why are my levels not up to 4-5. I added two gallons of the stuff and the pool calc says that should bring it up 4.5 points.

You have to read the labels on pool products. Chlorox began selling a line of traditional pool chemicals, probably to capitalize on the growing trend of chlorinating with bleach. As long as there is no copper in that algaecide it is probably ok. You may see some foaming and increased chlorine demand for a couple of days. Go ahead and get a few large jugs of 8% unscented bleach and add them as needed. Unless there is a problem with the SWG it should be able to keep up once the FC level is established.

I feel like a total dummy. And I pride myself in reading the labels and making sure I know what I am putting in my water. Oh well, I guess this will just make me be on the tips of my toes instead of just standing flat footed.

I'm off to get some bleach today and will put it in.

thanks for the help

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.