Added Salt for "feel"

poolgirl22

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2010
Stephens City, VA
Whoohoo!!! :party: :party:

I love my salted pool too and I think it looks even more sparkly than unsalted. I've had many compliments on it and our skin and hair is not brittle or dry or anything.

Grape Ape

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 12, 2009
Seattle, WA
I'll chime in and say that I also got lots of compliments when I brought my salt up from 500ppm to 2,000ppm a couple weeks ago.

I know part of it is that I keep on top of the ph but after I added the salt, my wife has stopped wearing goggles and I noticed a nephew and a friend of my daughter both playing happilly with their goggles almost half full of water.

I really should find a little time for the borates...

AnnaK

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 15, 2007
Eastern Pennsylvania
Uh . . . ditto!!! :lol:

We run our pool at around 1800 ppm right now and I'm going to add another bag this weekend. It very definitely makes the water feel softer, hair tangles less, and skin feels smoother when it dries. I swim with my eyes open when I do laps. No more red and burning eyes!

Salting a pool is a terrific improvement.

Grape Ape

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 12, 2009
Seattle, WA
AnnaK said:
Uh . . . ditto!!! :lol:

We run our pool at around 1800 ppm right now and I'm going to add another bag this weekend. It very definitely makes the water feel softer, hair tangles less, and skin feels smoother when it dries. I swim with my eyes open when I do laps. No more red and burning eyes!

Salting a pool is a terrific improvement.
At risk of sounding like a shill for "Big Salt", I have to agree on the skin and hair tangles.

joykens

Aug 25, 2009
Newburgh, Indiana
What exactly do you do? If I just put in a bag or two of pool salt, will that be ok? Should I be concerned about doing that with my old, all steel pool? I really like the idea of how it would feel.

crek31

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2009
I added salt to about 1800 a few weeks ago and really like it. At least one frequent visitor noted a difference without being prompted. I just added water softener salt, and don't have a SWG -- despite having added salt, I'm supposed to still follow the Non-SWG chart for FC/CYA and keep my CYA at 40 instead of going up to 60 or 70 -- is that right??

chem geek

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 28, 2007
San Rafael, CA USA
crek31 said:
despite having added salt, I'm supposed to still follow the Non-SWG chart for FC/CYA and keep my CYA at 40 instead of going up to 60 or 70 -- is that right??
Yes, that's right, because the difference isn't related to the salt but to the more continuous dosing and super-chlorination in the SWG cell.

mitch08

Jun 30, 2008
Suffolk County, NY
Just curious about people who use salt for feel instead of SWG. I was considering doing this but my wife and I both hate the taste of salt water pools.

Does 2000ppm of salt or less give that taste?

Will 1000ppm still give a nicer feel to the water? Perhaps that would be less noticed in our mouths when we swallow half the pool swimming. :mrgreen:

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
The level at which you can taste salt varies from person to person. The average is around 3,000 ppm, but some people can taste salt at much lower levels. Salt for feel uses a level around 2,000 ppm. Most people won't be able to taste that, but maybe one in 1,000 will.