added heat pump more than doubles psi

Nikola

Feb 26, 2021
Florida
I have a 1.5 hp pentair heater model 160354, and all was fine, starting at 10 psi, (pool is 13,000 gallons, 14 x 28, and 3.5-5.5 deep) We just added a heat pump, Rheem Raypak model 5450 and now the starting pressure jumped to almost 30 psi. I read 30 psi starting pressure is too high, especially if the filter begins to get dirty, it will drive the pressure to 40, not to mention put more work on the motor. The company that installed the pool heater (same one installed the pool) said its normal, but the water pressure coming out of the jets in the pool as well as the fountain connected to the pool, has dramatically been reduced as well. Wondering if anyone else had this issue. Very concerned.

I believe so.... The gentleman from the pool company came by to check. I am unfortunately at their mercy, but I did look at the users manual and compare it to the hookup at my pool and it seems to be correct. I will double check it again though. Thank you for your reply.

yes. please see attached. psi reading currently at 28, when use to be 10. Also attached is a picture of the fountain which use to go as high as the brown bar of screen

Attachments

• Pool and heater setup.jpg
    Pool and heater setup.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 31
  • fountain post heater.jpg
    fountain post heater.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 30
Yes. And it will turn on when enough sun - which I am sure you know :) The pool company said he has done a few installs like this where homeowners start out with solar, but then realize it isn't enough all year, so they add heat pump, so the water is suppose to go to the solar first, to heat with "free" heat, then pass through the heat pump to heat the rest of the way if solar heated water is not at the desired temperature.

The pressure is 28 while the water is going through the solar panels?

How high are the panels?

What is the pressure when the water is not going through the solar panels?

Check the salt cell for clogs.

The panels are on the roof - one story house.... I will take a picture tomorrow. The pressure has always been 10 psi with or without going through solar (maybe 10 without and 12 with) but very very minimal change. And I always wash the filter once to twice a month or more if needed. This 30 psi began immediately after the guys installed the heat pump by cutting the existing pvc to accommodate the new pvc for the added heat pump. As soon as they left, I went out to check out the work again, and noticed the pressure was up.....on the pump and with my blood :) :) But I will check for clogs, maybe something fell in the pvs and they didn't notice!

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.