Added acid - little to no drop in TA

Gofrogs727

Jun 11, 2021
Aledo, Texas
Good morning. I have slowly been adding acid over the past 36 hours to drop my PH and TA. Previous PH was 8.0-8.2 and my TA was 130.

I have added at least 36 ounces over the past 36 hours. My PH is sitting at 7.4 (target is 7.2 and then aerate PH back up per pool math). TA is now 110-120 (not much change from the original 130).

Any idea why the PH is dropping like it should, but the TA is now budging much.

If it matters, pool has 3 water features (hot tub overflow, sheer decent, and bubbler in swim pad area). Using Taylor K2006 kit.

cowboycasey

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 3, 2013
Southern OK
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool SJ-40
That is how it works.. The TA is slow to drop.. I have been dropping mine also but now I have Borates.. It take LOTS longer now, I have gone through 2 gallons this week :)

Reactions: Gofrogs727

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Your TA has lowered. It will go slowly at first. Use Effects of Adding Chemicals in Poolmath. Once you get your pH back to 7.6 or so, lower it to 7.2.

Why are you concerned with lowering the TA of your pool water?

Reactions: Gofrogs727

Gofrogs727

Jun 11, 2021
Aledo, Texas
That is how it works.. The TA is slow to drop.. I have been dropping mine also but now I have Borates.. It take LOTS longer now, I have gone through 2 gallons this week :)
Thank you both for the input!

nknauss - I am trying to follow the TFP method and stay within the best range for TA which the chart shows 60-80ppm.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
TA range is 50 - 90+. Unless you have a CSI issue, there is no reason to lower TA except through normal pH management.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread