***Adapter removed *** Help ID this adapter AND advice on repair/replace

duade

Aug 11, 2020
Chicago
Last year hired a pool company to close the pool as I had just bought the house. I educated myself to close the pool on my own.

Went to drain the pool using the pool pump. As I switched the jandy valve to discharge, water started to surface at the corner of the house. Had to abandon the plan and placed a back up pump into pool to drain. I got the pool closed and am all set there.

Went to investigate the situation where the water was coming from. Started to dig and found this collar type adapter. Water was coming up from between the white plastic PVC style adapter and the green 3034 style pipe. What is the adapter called?

IMG_0808.JPG

IMG_0809.JPG

IMG_0811.JPG

IMG_0810.JPG

What would you all suggest to to re-work this?

The green pipe goes to the back edge of the yard where it enters the association storm water collection basin. I spoke to the association and they advised this connection is allowed and was approved when the pool was built.

Attachments

• IMG_0811.JPG
    IMG_0811.JPG
    607.7 KB · Views: 4
More than likely your drain pipe is plugged up...did they plumb the backwash line into your drainage pipe? Pool pumps can put out an impressive amount of water volume so you have to be careful using them to drain a pool as they can quickly overwhelm drainpipes. People have backed up pool discharge into their home shower and bath drains because the sewer line couldn't handle the flow rate.

Reactions: JamesW
Maybe it's not a good seal.

Maybe you could take it off, clean it up and glue it in place?
I really appreciate the brochure you linked. I learned what they are called and there is possibly an O ring in there. Maybe the O ring has failed. The burn is that the hardware the builder used has rusted. I am debating cutting the bolts to investigate.

I am also debating cutting the green 3034 pipe just below the saddle and reworking the gutter and discharge connections.

Regarding the pipe being blocked, I tried running the pump at a very low speed. Water still came up. I wish the pool was still open so I could create the leak.

Also, when it rains, the gutter flows with no issue. I'm going to borrow my dads snake camera and slide it in there and look for a blockage as Joyfull noise suggests.

THANKS!

Could it be that the water just rushes into the back side of the pipe, and before it goes down the pipe, some of it gets splashed up? I had a similar problem with a washer drain in another life. If the saddle was installed further down this could solve that issue, if that is even the issue at all. But that may not be feasible in your case. Maybe consider using a saddle that has the pipe entering the drain pipe on an angle, so the water enters the drain pipe already at a downward angle. I did a quick search and they are available on Amazon. Or perhaps cut it all out below the saddle, chip out a little bit of concrete if needed, and install a WYE fitting. But definitely check for blockage first!

Reactions: duade

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
i agree, redoing with a Wye fitting is the proper way to go and avoids backsplash up the pipe. I would redo it.

If it’s perforated pipe it may have filled up with silt and be partially blocked. If it doesn’t daylight anywhere nearby then it may just be plugged up with debris. Scoping it out is a good idea. Sometimes a long garden hose is all you need to free it up but a severe blockage may not be fixable without a pressurized water snake.

Adapter removed. Hole into discharge pipe 5/8" smaller than pipe from pool pump. No seal. No O ring. Obvious evidence of water just going down the pipe between rain water and pool water.

Investigated pipe with a snake. No clogs.

IMG_0813.JPG

IMG_0816.JPG

Last edited:
Maybe cut the hole bigger to match the pipe and then glue the saddle in place and clamp to secure.

Get a hole saw and cut a hole in a piece of wood to use as a jig. Then place the hole directly over the existing hole as a template to keep the hole saw steady.

Or, go with a Y style T.

Went with Y. Used the correct gutter adapter and moved it down slightly to prevent the cedar from rotting. I was not comfortable going with the saddle again. There was evidence of water coming down the pipe from the failed fitting for long time.

I will get rid of the flexible PVC drain pipe from the Jandy to the Y in the spring. Repair the cedar too.

Thanks everyone for the tips and advice. Great learning experience for me.

IMG_0823.JPG

Reactions: JamesW
Good job 👏

Doing it the right way is an investment in your future by eliminating the grief from worry. That connection will last a long time. Whoever did the previous work clearly didn’t know what they were doing OR didn’t care to do the job right.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.