AcuRite wireless thermometer

AUSpool

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Sep 23, 2015
Brisbane, Australia.
Just bought myself an Acurite pool and spa thermometer from Home Depo for ~US$35. Are they alright? If I tie it on to a bollard in the middle of the pool will it stand up to a bit of bumping arround into the bollard.

I've had two of the ebay floating thermometers but they only last about a season.

The Acurite one has high and low daily temp and a history chart which is pretty cool.

AUSpool

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Sep 23, 2015
Brisbane, Australia.
Thanks, looks like they've had some issues. The old photos look a bit different from the one I got. Mine is sealed around the top and looks like it comes apart with a 2" union fitting to put the batteries in. Hope I have better luck with mine but will keep the receipt just in case.

tcrote5516

Jun 17, 2014
New Hampshire
I bought 3 of them never getting more than 1 season out of any of them. Don't ask why I kept buying the same one, thought the third one was the charm....no such luck. Should have known better because my boat; which sole purpose is to float has a bilge pump for a reason because water always finds a way to go where it's not suppose to go.

AUSpool

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Sep 23, 2015
Brisbane, Australia.
Thanks, and I guess even the smallest amount of water and the batteries are not a good combination. It might pay to pull it out and open it up to air and or dry out on a regular basis.

chiefwej

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 12, 2011
Tucson
I have had several brands of floating wireless thermometers, including that one. The only one I have had that ever lasted more than a season is the Ambient brand. You can find them on Amazon or order direct from the manufacturer. They are sealed better and use a solar cell to augment the batteries so they don't need to be opened as frequently.

They also have a desiccant pack in them to absorb some of the excess moisture. A good idea regardless of brand. Opening frequently just increases chances of a leak.

Thread starter Other Threads of Interest Forum Replies Date
I Everything Else 1
NLandas Everything Else 5

Other Threads of Interest