Activating Bromide consumes Chlorine?

JoyfulNoise

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
May 23, 2015
Tucson, AZ
Is there a reason why you can’t drain & refill your pool? Honestly speaking, it’s going to take “forever” to convert the bromine/bromide in the water to bromate (BrO3) but, even when you do, why would you want that? Bromate is a suspected carcinogen and highly regulated here in the US. I realize that you’re not drinking your pool water but, at this point, I’d consider it to be fouled with bromine and I’d just dump it. Over the course of waiting for the bromine to convert, you’re going to be running your SWG harder to keep the chlorine generation up and you’re chemistry is going to need constant attention. Honestly, it’s a royal waste of time and energy.

@JamesW has given you great advice and it’s your pool so you can run it however you please, but if you can afford the water exchange, you’ll save yourself a lot of grief by simply dumping the pool.

Good luck.

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
I agree that a water replacement would be the best choice if it can be safely done.

A vinyl pool can usually not be drained without replacing the liner.

A fiberglass or gunite pool can float if the ground water is high. So, you have to be careful about that.