NW Arkansas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Oh my, where to start. I just got back in town after a week's absence. My backyard received 17.2 inches of rain from last Tuesday afternoon through Wednesday evening. 7 inches in less than 4 hours. And yes, the overflow worked just like it should, diluting all my work over the last 4-6 weeks. I am in the SW Houston suburbs. I have a post from the beginning of April about the AA method to remove stains on my pool. Miraculously I see no stains upon my return. Arrived home this morning, pool water was cloudy, no real visible algae on the pool walls. My pump was off, along with the water softener, blinking oven and micro clocks.

I started the pump and the Polaris, set SWG to super chlorinate, dumped in almost a gallon of bleach, going to get more. First chlorine test was O, that's why the just dump in the bleach I had on hand. Brushed the pool, checked the salt, added one bag, brushed again. PH was 7.4, started the 3 waterfalls to help with circulation. Waited a couple of hours and did complete test panel. Pool is clearing up, did find a little green around the lights, brushed pool again.
Ph 7.4
FC .75
CC 2
TC 2.75
TA 50
CH 200
CYA 0

Note, I had just spent the past 2 weeks slowly bringing CYA up to 50. Prior the rain the CH was 270.
Also, I have set the SWG to super chlorinate until I have supplemental bleach.

Can I bring up the chlorine, the calcium hardness, and the CYA, all at the same time?
Advice needed.

Thanks

Tested again this morning, pump and SWG on super chlorinate overnight and since arrival home yesterday. I added another gallon of bleach 10% around 10 pm. My concerns are adding bleach while on super chlorinate. I think I will turn off the SWG and use just bleach. The other concern is the CSI. Since starting AA treatment in early April I have been trying to get the CSI in line. Goal this morning is to bring up the chlorine and the CYA.

Ph 7.2
FC .5
CC 1.
TC 1.5
TA 50
CH 200
CYA 0
TEMP 80
CSI -0.76

So you're still getting a CYA of zero huh? That's odd from the notes above, but if you see that dot when full, it's definately too low. But I would only increasing the CYA to 30 for now because if I understand your notes correctly, you have algae right? The FC crashed while you were gone, you saw some green, and the water has been cloudy? If that's still true, I'd SLAM Process to ensure any algae is gone for good. Hopefully it will be easier to manage before our water temps start to climb. There is a concern it may effect your previous AA work since we know iron doesn't like an elevated FC level, but you have to be algae-free.

Your CSI is indeed low, perhaps lower than what your show based on my numbers using PoolMath. So you can add some calcium to get the CH to 250, and even add some baking soda to get the TA to 70. We normally lower the pH to 7.2 for a SLAM Process because FC tends to cause a temporary increase in pH. So if you SLAM, the pH should rise to help elevate the CSI and you'll be good. If for some reason you do not SLAM, then increase the pH to 7.5-7.6 and you'll be fine. But if there is any question about the water and algae, I would SLAM now. Get it done & clear before increasing the CYA to your SWG recommended minimum of 70.

So you're still getting a CYA of zero huh? That's odd from the notes above, but if you see that dot when full, it's definately too low. But I would only increasing the CYA to 30 for now because if I understand your notes correctly, you have algae right? The FC crashed while you were gone, you saw some green, and the water has been cloudy? If that's still true, I'd SLAM Process to ensure any algae is gone for good. Hopefully it will be easier to manage before our water temps start to climb. There is a concern it may effect your previous AA work since we know iron doesn't like an elevated FC level, but you have to be algae-free.

Your CSI is indeed low, perhaps lower than what your show based on my numbers using PoolMath. So you can add some calcium to get the CH to 250, and even add some baking soda to get the TA to 70. We normally lower the pH to 7.2 for a SLAM Process because FC tends to cause a temporary increase in pH. So if you SLAM, the pH should rise to help elevate the CSI and you'll be good. If for some reason you do not SLAM, then increase the pH to 7.5-7.6 and you'll be fine. But if there is any question about the water and algae, I would SLAM now. Get it done & clear before increasing the CYA to your SWG recommended minimum of 70.
I added 2 gallons of bleach, turned off the SWG and am SLAMMING. I only saw little green when I brushed around the lights. Initially the pool water was a little cloudy, was crystal when I left. I planned to increase CYA only to 30 so glad to hear you think the same.I redid the CYA test twice, and full to the top can easily see the dot. I did dump in a full bottle of Jack's Magic Purple stuff yesterday, trying to NOT undo the ascorbic acid treatment.

Reactions: Texas Splash
It's been over 2 hours since I added enough bleach to get to SLAM of 10, just tested, chlorine is up to 3. I am adding 179 oz bleach now per pool calculator to try to get to 10.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's been over 2 hours since I added enough bleach to get to SLAM of 10, just tested, chlorine is up to 3. I am adding 179 oz bleach now per pool calculator to try to get to 10.
That is odd. Big drop. Definately pump that FC up right away and test again in about 10-15 minutes next time. Don't give it too long to fall. Next time you check, also record the CC level and post back so we can see how thiings are going.

just tested water, about 50 minutes after last bleach addition. I also added about 3 cups of stabilizer at that same time. going to buy more but willing to sneak up on CYA, don't want to overshoot.

Current numbers 11:40 am
FC 8.5
CC 1
TC 9.5

If I use TC I will add 13 oz of bleach.

1:45 PM
Im putting in the time as the time stamp on the last several posts starting at 1:40PM last night after your posts are incorrect.
FC 7
CC 0.5 only 1 drop
TC 7.5
I am adding 64 oz bleach per Pool Math, My Ph is still 7.2 and I have been running the 3 waterfalls since around 9 AM this morning. And yes the stabilizer went in a sock at skimmer entrance. Pool School and all the help and guidance I have learned on TFP is wonderful. I take the advice and follow it. And right now the water is back to crystal clear, though I know I have to finish the SLAM properly.

Looking good. You should be able to focus on testing the FC now, and perform a CC test occasioanlly if you wish. No need to test pH or anything else right now, so you can save those drops. Now it's all about maintaining the FC level, follwing the SLAM Process page, and of course ..... patience. That can be a tough one.

5 PM
FC 6
CC 0
TC 6
Adding 102 oz bleach, will check again later this evening then make one more addition if needed to get to 10. If I have no CC tonight and tomorrow I think Im good. Will reread SLAM one more time, and yes patience.

Reactions: Razorhog
7 AM Wed. morning
FC 6.5 I added bleach to get to 10 FC at 10 PM last night, 6.5 reading at 7 AM. Pump is running continuously.
CC 0.5 Barely 1 drop, barely a pink tint
TC 7
PH. 7.2 this is not moving, I have been running the waterfalls off and on for general circulation and any algae hiding in the pipes.
CYA 20 I put the sock in 36 hours ago, I am going to add a bit more, sneaking up on the numbers.

Besides the CYA going slowly up. I think my TA needs to go up to 70, and the PH needs to go up to 7.4. and CH needs to rise.

I think my TA needs to go up to 70, and the PH needs to go up to 7.4. and CH needs to rise.
No need to test or adjust anything else at this point. All your focus during the SLAM is on the FC and CC. Of course the CYA as well (30) which you are working on. Doing well!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.