Riverside, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
We are in the Shotcrete stage of our new pool build. Our pool is being done by a pool builder as this is my first pool. I have been reading some older threads that are no longer active about this topic, and it appears that this is not such a great idea. I have asked my PB if the finish can be hand cast so as not to lose the finish in the plaster and he doesn't recommend it. Is an acid wash done to remove just the surface plaster and expose the pebble finish? Just curious. And will I be compromising the finish by not having it done? Looking forward to your responses. Thanx

Last edited by a moderator:
What specific finish are you installing?

Part of the pebble process is to use acid to remove plaster to expose the pebbles. If you want a pebble finish you accept that process.

For other finishes acid baths and startups are not recommended.

Part of the pebble process is to use acid to remove plaster to expose the pebbles. If you want a pebble finish you accept that process.

Thanx for the reply. It was explained exactly that way to us this morning. We are unsure of the color, but it will be a Stonescapes mini pebble. I was told this morning that the abalone finish will be hand cast applied. We passed our first inspection this morning. Shotcrete the first of next week.

Acid washes are ideal for minor discolorations caused by things like leaves falling into the pool. The main benefit of acid washing during some new finishes applications is to remove any haze or cement residue. But it all depends on what type of pool you have. A universal method of keeping the pool clean is to clean it with a pressure washer. For example, at the beginning of every pool season, I always use the services of Sparkle Wash, so I pressure wash my pool. I am already thinking of buying a pressure washer for myself.

Last edited:
Acid washes are ideal for minor discolorations caused by things like leaves falling into the pool.

Welcome to TFP.

We think acid washings are the worst thing you can do to your plaster, especially for minor staining from leaves in the pool. There are much better ways to treat most problems that do not ecth the plaster and reduce the life of the plaster finish.

The main benefit of acid washing, during some new finishes application is to remove any haze or cement residue.

It depends on the recommendations of the plaster manufacturer. For some finishes acid washing is part of the process to expose pebbles or quartz. Acid washing should not be used to cover up poor quality plaster work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.