Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Autopilot Digital Nano+ PPC2
hello all,
I am a relatively new pool owner, and accidentally ran the pump dry for 4 hours...
- Pump is sta-rite supermax 1hp 1 speed, which I have on a timer set up to run 4 hours at night and 6 hours during the day, along with the SWG 40%.
- I cleaned the pump basket one afternoon. I used to always close the 3 way valve before opening the lid. Bad idea? This time I forgot to re-open the valve...
- Not sure of the damage, there is air/bubble now I can see through the lid, maybe the pump is noisier.
- However, the gauge on the filter shows same pressure as before the incident, and indeed pressure feels strong. No apparent leak.
- Also when the pump turns off, air comes in the system, and when it starts again, it needs to prime. I don't think this was the case before. Could I have another problem?

questions:
1- after checking out the forum, I am planning to get a repair kit to replace the seals. Is that right ? is this what I should get: link ?
2- confused on why the pressure seems fine, but it doesn't seem to be fully functioning. What can be broken?
3- any guidance on often I should run the pump ? Pool has been open for a month but it's been a bit chilly so pool didn't get used much, hence the 4+6 hours
4- leaving on a trip for 5 weeks in June. Planning to have a friend come once a week to empty the skimmer. How often should I run the pump, and what level should the SWG be ?

thanks in advance !! Fred

When run dry, the water in the pump gets hot. It can warp the lid. Before you get too deep, take a look at the lid on a flat surface, and then try some pool lube on the lid and drain O-rings.

Last edited:
thanks @JohnT ! Lid is fine. I didn't have pool lube so used food grade grease. No difference, still seeing air through lid.
Probably not relevant: I checked the filter and it was really dirty, tons of pollen I guess. Cleaned it good, put it back and the pressure gauge still reads the same... puzzling.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.