Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Autopilot Digital Nano+ PPC2
hello all,
I am a relatively new pool owner, and accidentally ran the pump dry for 4 hours...
- Pump is sta-rite supermax 1hp 1 speed, which I have on a timer set up to run 4 hours at night and 6 hours during the day, along with the SWG 40%.
- I cleaned the pump basket one afternoon. I used to always close the 3 way valve before opening the lid. Bad idea? This time I forgot to re-open the valve...
- Not sure of the damage, there is air/bubble now I can see through the lid, maybe the pump is noisier.
- However, the gauge on the filter shows same pressure as before the incident, and indeed pressure feels strong. No apparent leak.
- Also when the pump turns off, air comes in the system, and when it starts again, it needs to prime. I don't think this was the case before. Could I have another problem?

questions:
1- after checking out the forum, I am planning to get a repair kit to replace the seals. Is that right ? is this what I should get: link ?
2- confused on why the pressure seems fine, but it doesn't seem to be fully functioning. What can be broken?
3- any guidance on often I should run the pump ? Pool has been open for a month but it's been a bit chilly so pool didn't get used much, hence the 4+6 hours
4- leaving on a trip for 5 weeks in June. Planning to have a friend come once a week to empty the skimmer. How often should I run the pump, and what level should the SWG be ?

thanks in advance !! Fred

JohnT

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Apr 4, 2007
SW Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
When run dry, the water in the pump gets hot. It can warp the lid. Before you get too deep, take a look at the lid on a flat surface, and then try some pool lube on the lid and drain O-rings.

Last edited:

fredinstl

Jul 26, 2020
St Louis
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Autopilot Digital Nano+ PPC2
thanks @JohnT ! Lid is fine. I didn't have pool lube so used food grade grease. No difference, still seeing air through lid.
Probably not relevant: I checked the filter and it was really dirty, tons of pollen I guess. Cleaned it good, put it back and the pressure gauge still reads the same... puzzling.

Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread