accidentally add clorox pool spa shock xtrablue to my salt water pool.

mustlistenfc

New member
Apr 6, 2019
2
Texas
I just moved to new house and has salt water pool and trying to testing and balance since last week. and I didn't know that the saltwater chlorine generator was discounted and add clorox pool spa shock xtrablue to my pool last night to get higher chlorine level. chlorine level changed 0 to 3 today morning but do you guys thinking if I connect the saltwater chlorine generator then chlorine level is going to be higher than 3 since saltwater chlorine generator makes extra chlorine?

are these same chlorine between salt chlorine from generator and shock xtrablue?
 

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
23,036
Laughlin, NV
Welcome to the forum!
A one time use of 'shock' is not an issue. No need for it if following TFPC. Have some liquid chlorine on hand (kept indoors) for those times you need to add FC to your pool quickly.

It sounds like you may need to read up on the FC/CYA Chart. Do you have your own test kit?

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Kmlee

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
12,046
Evans, Georgia
While the SWG doesn't work in winter (too cold water) I always use plain, unscented, non-thickened, non-Clorox brand household bleach when I need to raise my FC. Works a charm!

Remember that a SWG will work best at maintaining a FC level that you've brought up first with liquid chlorine, but it takes too long for it to produce all the chlorine you need starting at zero FC before algae might take off.
SWGs work s-l-o-w-l-y, kinda like the hare and the rabbit...... 🐢

You've not done any harm with one time use but I will caution you though to avoid ANY product, particularly those made by Clorox, that have the XtraBlue label on them. They also contain copper which you do *not* want to add to your pool. Copper causes stains and can cause blonds to get greenish hair. I have decided to personally avoid all Clorox products if I can just because they don't mention copper in the ingredients until you do a search on the SDS information. How many people have no idea why they're developing stains without knowing they added a lot of copper?!? <steps off soapbox>

Maddie :flower: