Above ground pump size

jorianj

Sep 3, 2007
For those of us who have the "seasonal" above ground pools, I'd like to know a little more on proper sizing of pumps for these types of pools. I have one of those metal frame pools (15' x 42") that came with "everything". But, I don't think that the pump is sufficient for the pool size. Just when I think I have things going well, the water starts to get cloudy, then green and I have to start all over again! I leave the pump running every night for 5 hours, but I just can't keep up with it. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong? You're the expert - do you make house calls? Signed - New guy

JohnT

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Apr 4, 2007
SW Indiana
For the pump that comes with those, 24/7 operation is the only way it has a chance to keep up. That said, green has little to do with the filter. It's a result of low chlorine levels.

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
Welcome to TFP!

You want a pump that will move the same number of gallons as are in the pool in somewhere around eight to twelve hours. Many above ground pool kits come with such a pump, or sometimes a larger one, but pair it with a drastically undersized filter. If you tell us which specific pump and filter you have we can give you some more specific advice.

Getting algae is a problem either with low chlorine or high stabilizer. Many chlorine products, notably trichlor and dichlor, contain stabilizer, which reduces the effectiveness of chlorine when the stabilizer level gets too high.