Above Ground Pool set, filled, shocked. Now questions :)

asliboogie

Jul 20, 2020
Fremont/California
Hi dear trouble free pool members,
I set up the Bestway 22x12x48 pool, FlowClear 1000 Sand filter and filled it with tap water. Took the water sample to local Leslie's.
First day results: Date: 07/24/20, pH 8, Alkalinity 110, Cyanuric Acid 30, Free Chlorine 0, Total Chlorine 0, Phosphates 0, Calcium 200, Iron 0, Copper 0
They told me to add 13 oz Leslie's Dry Acid and run the filter 4 hr. Wait to see if PH is good, Add 5 oz Leslie's Chlor Brite and run 4 hr.
I added these and run the filter all night.
Today's result: 07/25/20, pH 7.4, Alkalinity 120, Cyanuric Acid 30, Free Chlorine 2, Total Chlorine 2 (correction), Phosphates 0, Calcium 200, Iron 0, Copper 0, TDS 200
She said it is perfect and we can go in swimming and I need to run the filter at least 4 hours and while people are swimming in it. She said to go back on Tuesday so she can test and show how to work the strips. I asked if I should add anything else, she said not till Tuesday. I asked again "Wasn't I suppose to add chlorine every day?" She said "nope".
Questions:
1- Is it safe to run the filter while swimming?
2- Aren't I supposed to add chlorine everyday?
3- I purchased vacuum and brush. Will brush everyday and vacuum every week.
4- What else should I know? What is a good routine?

Best Regards,

Last edited:
You HAVE to have chlorine. It's not safe to swim now. Algae is beginning to grow, but more importantly, pathogens can be passed from person to person. The advice you got from Leslie's is not just dangerous to your wallet, but dangerous to your health.

You need to take control of your testing, by getting a good test kit and doing it yourself.

Filter can be on or off while people swim. It's slightly safer for it to be off. Definitely run it after, so the chlorine can sanitize the water.

Add 5 ppm of liquid chlorine every day until your test kit arrives. Use Pool Math to calculate how much to add.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Do NOT swim until you add chlorine and get it up to the TFP recommended level.

Let me give you the BEST advice I learned on here....STOP GOING TO THE POOL STORE for testing and chemicals. Order a good test kit, like the TF100 or K-2006C, and take control of your own water.
Once you get a test kit post up the results.

2 FC is the absolute lowest acceptable for your CYA.

You will lose 3-5 ppm FC each day to the sun. Since you do not have a way to test it yourself, add 5 ppm each day. It's okay if the FC builds up a little. It's still safe to swim up to 10 ppm for your CYA.

2 FC is the absolute lowest acceptable for your CYA.

You will lose 3-5 ppm FC each day to the sun. Since you do not have a way to test it yourself, add 5 ppm each day. It's okay if the FC builds up a little. It's still safe to swim up to 10 ppm for your CYA.
Thank you. I just downloaded the Pool Math, trying to figure out 5 ppm. I do have liquid clorox home, so I should be able to. Thank you so much. I also just ordered a test kit. I will be asking a lot of questions to you guys :(

Chlorox contains polymers (look for ChloroMax on the label) that may foam up your pool water and is not recommended for pools. Check Home Depot or Lowes for 10% liquid chlorine sometimes labeled shock.
Ask away please, we have all been where you are now, welcome to TFP.

Chlorox contains polymers (look for ChloroMax on the label) that may foam up your pool water and is not recommended for pools. Check Home Depot or Lowes for 10% liquid chlorine sometimes labeled shock.
Ask away please, we have all been where you are now, welcome to TFP.
In this case, would it be a better idea to add Leslie's Chlor Brite I still have (Leslie's Chlor Brite Granular Chlorine Buckets) until I get my test kit?
It says for maintenance "Broadcast a half-ounce of Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies Chlor Brite (per 500 gallons) over the surface of the water. Test the Free Available Chlorine (FAC) level and add additional Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies Chlor Brite, if necessary, to attain a 3-5 FAC level."
I have the strips (Leslie's 511243 5-Way 30CT Test Strips) for now, I guess I can check with that.
Thank you all so much, I am really nervous about this.

Your Chlor Brite contains Dichlor which is chlorine in combination with CYA (stabilizer). While the chlorine will breakdown quickly, unfortunately the CYA will accumulate and eventually become so high that sanitizing your pool will be difficult at best and will eventually require draining and refilling with fresh water. It is not difficult to estimate how fast this will happen by using pool math and entering the data in " Effects of adding chemicals " section near the bottom. You can get away with using solid forms of chlorine but it becomes important to know what exactly you are adding to your water to maintain the proper balance.
So using Pool Math and given your pool volume of 6000gals, each addition of 6oz dichlor will raise your FC by 4.1ppm, raise your CYA by 3.8 and lower your pH by .16. After a week your CYA will have risen over 26ppm and you're already are at 30 (maybe as this is a pool store test). Your pH will also need to be watched closely with these additions.

If you want to take control of your pool system, keep it safe and your costs low you need to be able to test your water yourself and understand how to balance your water. TFP is a gold mine for pool owners and your source for no nonsense pool information. So many good people here willing to help and notice no pesky ads, imagine that. :cheers:

Your Chlor Brite contains Dichlor which is chlorine in combination with CYA (stabilizer). While the chlorine will breakdown quickly, unfortunately the CYA will accumulate and eventually become so high that sanitizing your pool will be difficult at best and will eventually require draining and refilling with fresh water. It is not difficult to estimate how fast this will happen by using pool math and entering the data in " Effects of adding chemicals " section near the bottom. You can get away with using solid forms of chlorine but it becomes important to know what exactly you are adding to your water to maintain the proper balance.
So using Pool Math and given your pool volume of 6000gals, each addition of 6oz dichlor will raise your FC by 4.1ppm, raise your CYA by 3.8 and lower your pH by .16. After a week your CYA will have risen over 26ppm and you're already are at 30 (maybe as this is a pool store test). Your pH will also need to be watched closely with these additions.

If you want to take control of your pool system, keep it safe and your costs low you need to be able to test your water yourself and understand how to balance your water. TFP is a gold mine for pool owners and your source for no nonsense pool information. So many good people here willing to help and notice no pesky ads, imagine that. :cheers:
I am so happy to find you all. Ok, I am heading out to a store to get a 10% liquid chlorine, I will also get a thermometer as I couldn't figure out the calculation, it asks for the temperature of the water and I don't have any idea. Hopefully I will figure out how much I need to put tonight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Please help! My husband went to get the liquid but couldn't find any. He got HTH Ultimate Shock 7 in 1. So for tonight I have
1- Clorox with ChloroMax
2- HTH Ultimate Shock 7 in 1or
3- Leslie's Chlor Brite
Which one should I add tonight or should I not put anything and try to find liquid tomorrow?

The HTH is Calcium Hypochlorite. See the ingredients on the package. It has other additives you do not need, but if that is all you have, use it.
Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes normally have liquid chlorine.

The HTH is Calcium Hypochlorite. See the ingredients on the package. It has other additives you do not need, but if that is all you have, use it.
Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes normally have liquid chlorine.
Thank you. I went to Lowes and found it. Added the recommended 2 cups & 7oz from the Pool Math. I’ll do the strip test tomorrow and bother you all again :)

Reactions: Oly
you have a couple HASA liquid chlorine stores near you (you are so lucky, I wish we had one) you can get 12% liquid chlorine there and reuse them... so much better than lowes and fresher supply...

SCP Hayward 65126312 Corporate Ave
Hayward CA 94545

Phone: 510-887-7946

Superior Redwood City 526A 2692 Middlefield Rd., Unit H
Redwood City CA 94063

Phone: 408-737-9467

you have a couple HASA liquid chlorine stores near you (you are so lucky, I wish we had one) you can get 12% liquid chlorine there and reuse them... so much better than lowes and fresher supply...

SCP Hayward 65126312 Corporate Ave
Hayward CA 94545

Phone: 510-887-7946

Superior Redwood City 526A 2692 Middlefield Rd., Unit H
Redwood City CA 94063

Phone: 408-737-9467
Thank you! You are so kind. I’ll go and purchase from one of these.

Welcome to tfp!
Looks like everybody’s got it pretty much covered.
Great job on ordering a test kit!
You’ll soon be in complete control of this pool thing 😊
I just caught up on this thread & one thing I noticed is that upon fresh fill (no chems added) leslies has said u have 30 ppm cya. That’s not possible. The 5oz of chlor brite you have added has added about 2ppm cya to your water.
Eventhough we don’t condone guess strips as they are generally not very accurate.
I realize that’s all u have today in hopes of knowing that there is at least some fc in your water.
It seems there is “some” so definitely go swim & add more liquid chlorine when you’re done as i’m sure its not gonna last long with no stabilizer in the water.
Do this every day until your kit comes.
When it gets here test & post all your results. You’ll get plenty of help 😊

Reactions: Oly and asliboogie
I know it is not ideal but here is how the strip test results look like this morning. Until the Test kit comes, is it safe to add daily liquid 10% chlorine and swim?View attachment 155159View attachment 155160
d481358f-660b-46b5-9d0f-688bc709f48b-jpeg.155161

Welcome to tfp!
Looks like everybody’s got it pretty much covered.
Great job on ordering a test kit!
You’ll soon be in complete control of this pool thing 😊
I just caught up on this thread & one thing I noticed is that upon fresh fill (no chems added) leslies has said u have 30 ppm cya. That’s not possible. The 5oz of chlor brite you have added has added about 2ppm cya to your water.
Eventhough we don’t condone guess strips as they are generally not very accurate.
I realize that’s all u have today in hopes of knowing that there is at least some fc in your water.
It seems there is “some” so definitely go swim & add more liquid chlorine when you’re done as i’m sure its not gonna last long with no stabilizer in the water.
Do this every day until your kit comes.
When it gets here test & post all your results. You’ll get plenty of help 😊
thank you, thank you, thank you 🥰

What does it read? You have more experience with them than I. Have never used them.

Your pool will consume 3-4 ppm FC per day in sunny weather. Add at least that much. 5 ppm FC worth will not hurt as long as sometime in the past you have added at least some CYA, in some form.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.