Pool_lover223

Jun 29, 2019
Atlanta Ga
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have an Aquasport 52 17x32 pool being installed this weekend. My installer just mentioned that for $300 he can install a main drain in the pool. My question since I’m a first time pool owner is what are the benefits of it and is it with the extra cost? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Hello and Welcome to TFP!! Exciting times to have your first pool installed.

The main drain allows water to be pulled from the bottom of the pool and not just through the skimmer. Many feel that main drains are not necessary to have a clean sanitary pool. Once you have multiple ways for water to exit the pool into the pump, then you need to consider if they are balanced.
If you decide on a main drain, they must be anti-entrapment compliant. You should also have the main drain hard piped out to a point where you can add a 3 way valve to control the flow from drain vs skimmer.
A main drain is another place for a leak to occur.
The drain does offer some benefit to be able to control circulation better. AGPs are notoriously poor with circulation. Almost always, the return is within 2 feet of the skimmer.
Is $300 worth it, maybe. It is probably $100 in parts.

How are you chlorinating the pool? Do not install any UV system, no ozone, nothing that will put copper or metals in the water. This can and will stain the pool surface if allowed to buildup in the water. No single speed pumps. No cheapo slide valves, or other cheap valves. Make sure there is at valve at the inlet to the pump and outlet of the filter at a minimum.

Ask any other questions you have.

I am running a Pentair vs speed pump and will have a valve on return and inlet for sure. That’s a conversation I’ve already had! As far as sanitation, I am going to be using chlorine poured in until I get an injection pump next season.

We changed out our liner 2 years ago and I trenched in a main drain during that time. It has been the single best "cleaning" improvement I've ever done. We don't have to use automatic vacuum anymore, which was a bonus. Like mentioned above I put in heavy duty diverter valves to control the flow. Took a bit of trial and error to find the perfect balance, but the cyclone action pulls everything into the center while the skimmer still collects the surface debris. I used schedule 80 flex pvc, but I wouldn't hesitate to use hard pvc either.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.