Above ground leveling question

Jun 11, 2017
Washington
We just switched from an intex metal frame to a metal wall above ground and started to fill with water this evening.

1. We had our yard graded last month, all sod removed, laser leveled, and replanted, leaving a circumference that matched the pool.
2. We had about 2” of sand brought in for the bottom.
3. We dug in patio blocks for the 14 uprights and made sure each block was level front to back and side to side.
4.We also dug in 2 extra patio blocks per span, so basically the entire track is resting on dug in patio blocks that were leveled. We had debated doing a concrete pad, but didn’t know if the next owners would want the pool when we sell, but we liked the added reinforcement of having the track set on the blocks.
5. Pool wall went together ok, we checked we were in round, all the top rails and such went together as expected.
6. started to fill the pool with enough water to work out liner kinks this evening and we looked a bit off. I did a quick measurement and at two of the posts I had 36” between waterline and top rail. These two posts are across from each other. I moved on to 2 posts going the other direction across from one another and I had 35 and 36 3/4” from waterline to top rail. So if going clockwise, it went 35, 36, 36 3/4, 36 at four opposite points in the circle.

We stopped the water for the night anyway, but I’m wondering where we go from here.

They make rubber patio pavers. They are like $6 a square foot. I’ve used these to bump up a couple of my curve posts. They raise them 1/4 inch at a time. One square foot can be cut down to 4 pieces and they fit perfectly under a post. I’d raise the low post a quarter inch at a time if it’s off. But I’d actually check the level of the top rails first and the level of the posts longways. If it’s out of level than the top rails will slant and the posts themselves won’t be straight up and down.. If the top rails are level, the posts are straight, don’t fool with it. The reason could simply be you have less sand in one area and more in another. Measuring water depth is not the most accurate way to measure level. The more water you put in, the more level the water will become if everything else is nearly plumb. If the water pooled near that low post first when you started filling, it’s just the sand base.

Last edited:
Here’s where we are measuring water line to top rail, so still off about 1.5”.

They make rubber patio pavers. They are like $6 a square foot. I’ve used these to bump up a couple of my curve posts. They raise them 1/4 inch at a time. One square foot can be cut down to 4 pieces and they fit perfectly under a post. I’d raise the low post a quarter inch at a time if it’s off. But I’d actually check the level of the top rails first and the level of the posts longways. If it’s out of level than the top rails will slant and the posts themselves won’t be straight up and down.. If the top rails are level, the posts are straight, don’t fool with it. The reason could simply be you have less sand in one area and more in another. Measuring water depth is not the most accurate way to measure level. The more water you put in, the more level the water will become if everything else is nearly plumb. If the water pooled near that low post first when you started filling, it’s just the sand base.

Here’s where we are measuring water line to top rail. So still off about 1.5” at the most off level spot.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 2
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.