Above ground fiberglass pool?

Farmgal

Jul 17, 2019
Nebraska
I live in the middle of nowhere Nebraska and am contemplating a small pool for two adults and our dogs. I like the small fiberglass pools (8'x12'). I've read that they can be installed above ground but what supports the sides and steps? Finally, we are very limited to pool builders in our area, some builders in Omaha won't work 1-3/4 hrs away. Thanks for your input.

Hi there Farmgal, welcome to TFP :)

I truly have never heard of what you're asking. It would seem like it would almost require a cement form around it to support the flexible fiberglass. Where did you read about them installed above ground? I'd like to see that.

Are you able to put one in the ground instead??

Maddie :flower:

I guess the next step would be to contact the builders and see if any of them have experience with this type of installation and find out from the pool manufacturer if it will void your warranty.

I was thinking of above ground because of the clay soil that is all over our property.
In our area of south/central Texas, it's black clay soil as well. That's why we went with FB - because of the constant soil expansions & contractions. We though it might be a better combination.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, even with constant expansion, the fiberglass holds up ok? What is the backfill made of?
Our "FG" pool ( ha ha Maddie) was backfilled with sand. That was in my pre-TFP days. If I'd known better, I would've insisted on gravel backfill which is more stable. But our shell is doing fine even with the typical dry summer clay cracking/shrinking and winter months of over-saturation swelling.

Reactions: Farmgal
Hi! I don’t know if you have considered it or not, but another alternative for you to consider is a Splash Superpool. They are the official pool for dock dog competitions. I have one where it was installed on a level area with a compacted sand base, a Gorilla pad on top of that and then an Azek deck up to one side of it. The deck side has about a 2 foot high bench on it that is level with the pool when it’s fully filled. When sitting on the deck it kind of resembles a disappearing edge pool, without the high cost of course! Good luck with your search- I know there are a lot of things to consider. ?

What type of dogs do you have? I had two Yellow Labs who crossed the Rainbow Bridge before I got the Splash Superpool but they would have loved it!! I also did a drop in ladder that is held in place with 4 of the 10 lb cement filled and vinyl covered kettlebells attached with zip ties. At the end of the swimming year, we just snip the zip ties and pull the kettlebells and then the ladder out. Super easy! The ladder doesn’t sit firmly on the ground so I get much better water flow under the ladder. Plus the ladder would be perfect for a dog to use to get in and out of the pool.

We have a black lab (use to have 3), a 3 legged Greyhound and a cattle dog. We always have at least 3 dogs. I'll look into the splash pool. My first choice if money were no object, a fiberglass pool with a sundeck for the dogs.

I love dogs too!! Your babies sound wonderful! If you do decide to go with the Splash Superpool, you can save some money by finding one on Craigs List sometimes. They have 20 year warranties so you can save a lot of money buying a used one. They are also super easy to set up but you have to make sure that your ground is perfectly level or the pool will be off-kilter. You also have to get in the water to pull out the floating skimmer line in the fall and then get in to reinsert it in the spring. If you decide you don’t like the pool or want to upgrade to a fiberglass pool, this is a fairly easy pool to re-sell on Craig’s List. Or if you want to keep a swimming pool for the dogs only, a Splash is by far and away your best bet. Look up on YouTube some of the videos of dogs using a Splash Superpool- they love them!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.