About to take over newly built pool in Texas, how are my stats?

Mar 17, 2019
Austin
Just joined, done all my homework and have been testing for a few weeks as the end of my complimentary pool servicing approaches.

They will likely leave me with these numbers, any final comments I should make to them?

FC: 16
CC: 1.0
pH: 7.8
TA: 150
CH: 450
CYA: 45

13,000 gallon outdoor pool, lots of sunlight, not near any trees.

Another question - what would folks recommend for daily pump running times? I have a Jandy VS ePump with negative feet of head (pump is slightly lower than the skimmer). I'm currently at 1,500 RPM for 10 hours with a PSI under 5.

Welcome to the forum!
Please fill out your signature with the pool type, volume, equipment, etc. Also include what test kit you are using.

Your CC is 1? That seems odd. How did you test the pool water chemistry? A CYA of 45 is not measurable. Round up to 50. The scale is logarithmic. Why is your FC elevated?

Pump run time depends on several factors. If you have a SaltWater Chlorine Generator you must first run the pump long enough to generate your chlorine. You then need to run the pump long enough to skim the surface. Most pools without a SWCG can go with as few as 3-4 hours of pump run time. Some with SWCG just run the pumps 24 hours a day at the minimum speed to actuate the SWCG.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

You may also want to get the Poolmath app.

Thanks for your reply. I have the Poolmath app and purchased the subscription.

I tested following the instructions on the inside of the testing kit - ah, on the CYA I took the middle reading estimating 45, I understand what you mean about rounding up.

Unfortunately, I don't know why the chemical levels are where they are. I've read the ABC, which is great, but I couldn't find much info to explain why levels might be where they are.

I don't have an SWG on my pool but do have an inline chlorinator which is currently empty, the company said they plan to add tablets in a few weeks at the sun starts to strengthen.

With a non-SWCG chlorinated pool you do not want to use ANY solid chlorine products. So do not use the trichlor (tablets, pucks, etc) for daily maintenance. You should be using, and will continue to use all summer, liquid chlorine added on a DAILY basis.

Read Pool School. Search out Chlorinating your Pool.

You can use the inline thing when you go on vacation or your CYA gets a bit low from overflow or splashout. Just be sure to test CYA after using the trichlor pucks/tablets so you can manage your FC using the FC/CYA chart.

You are in Texas. Only in Texas do they put inline chlorinators on all pools. By the end of this swim season you will be looking to install a SWCG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.