About to purchase our first pool need some advice...

Jul 15, 2013
Upstate NY
So we've decided to install our first pool. I'm a pretty confident do it yourself-er, so I'll be installing it with some friends that installed a few pools. We are going ABG but are still stuck on either 24' or 27' round. I'm going with the Intex 2650 sand filter with built in SWG, J-Hook Liner, Full Resin Uprights and Top Pool kit. I did the calculations and for the equipment it's only $360 more for the 27'. Is it worth it? Any comments/suggestions are appreciated!

Awesome site here too, I've been reading non stop for 2 days!

Hello and welcome to TFP !!!

I've seen you've been reading. Good job. I hope your reading pool school. Take all the courses. Their free!!

I would also like to suggest that you have all your chem's on hand so when you fill it up you can start to get the water balanced right. The most important thing you should have is the right test kit. One of the ones we reccommend will be fine. I use the TF100. Best value IMO.

If you have any questions just ask. The only stupid question is the one not asked.

Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Thanks for the warm welcome! We still can't decide on the 24' or 27'. I'm ordering the TF-100 tonight and we've already bought all our pool salt. I didn't want Walmart to run out seeing how they start putting Christmas stuff out in August it seems. We've decided on everything except the size. Also, do we just fill it add the recommended salt quantity, let the pump run 24 hours, then turn on the SWG? How long after it's been running should I do my initial tests?

Thanks!

If you have the room go for the 27'. I have a 24' and its good for us. That's all up to you. Just make sure the SWG is sized right. A little bigger is better. You should have to add some liquid chlorine in the beginning. Don't forget the stabilizer. Very important. You'll want the CYA level to 60-80 ppm. The CYA wont show on a test for about a week Also get your PH right. You can test other things right away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Just a question as I am not not sure I know the answer. Why are you using an Intex pump and filter with a steel walled AG pool? Just trying to understand.

Most AG pools have Hayward, Pentair, or similar brands.

techguy said:
Just a question as I am not not sure I know the answer. Why are you using an Intex pump and filter with a steel walled AG pool? Just trying to understand.

Most AG pools have Hayward, Pentair, or similar brands.

I've read good things about it and I like their SWG built onto the filter/pump, not to mention it's a fraction of the cost of other SWGs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was more concerned about "duty cycle" most of the motors used by Hayward and Pentair are rated for continuous duty (turn on, leave on forever 24/7/365) for the job they are setup to do (pump water). I don't know if Intex pumps were designed to meet this standard. They primary product is "temporary pools" and designed to be used for a short period of time and then replaced.

Honestly, I have not heard of them being poorly designed, just that many of the Intex pools are sold with the absolute minimum pump required. The 2650 and the sand filter may be enough but I don't want you to "penny wise and dollar foolish". I know I see large numbers of great pumps an filters on craigslist.

Like this? This is a DE filter. http://albany.craigslist.org/for/3941556475.html

Or this for a sand http://westernmass.craigslist.org/spo/3938406194.html

techguy said:
I was more concerned about "duty cycle" most of the motors used by Hayward and Pentair are rated for continuous duty (turn on, leave on forever 24/7/365) for the job they are setup to do (pump water). I don't know if Intex pumps were designed to meet this standard. They primary product is "temporary pools" and designed to be used for a short period of time and then replaced.

Honestly, I have not heard of them being poorly designed, just that many of the Intex pools are sold with the absolute minimum pump required. The 2650 and the sand filter may be enough but I don't want you to "penny wise and dollar foolish". I know I see large numbers of great pumps an filters on craigslist.

Like this? This is a DE filter. http://albany.craigslist.org/for/3941556475.html

Or this for a sand http://westernmass.craigslist.org/spo/3938406194.html

I guess I've been so consumed by getting the Intex pump/filter I never thought much about getting a Hayward or Pentair then just adding on the SWG after. I'd prefer to buy new over used, any recommendations for a Sand Filter/Pump for a 27' Round AG pool?

Thanks a million everyone all of your input has been very much appreciated!

So is the 27' around 17k gallons? If so then we would recommend a minimum sand filter size of 3.1 sqft which is a 24" diameter ... so the Intex would certainly be on the small side.

There is no reason to limit yourself to a combo pump/filter unit although I think there are some with a 24" filter and a 2-speed motor (which is also a good upgrade to save money on electricity).

EDIT: Just to add, if you have a short season, then you could likely get by with something a little smaller.

So the wife and I talked and decided we're going with a 24' for sure. We priced out pools at our local pool store ($500 more for similar kits) and they sell http://www.poolproducts.com/SPP/productr.asp?pf_id=E3615 with all of their 24' pools. Would that Filter/Pump work for a 24' AG?

Thanks again everyone!

EDIT* I can get the SD 60 w/ 2.3 Sq Ft Area / 22.5" Diameter / 60 GPM max flow rate for $30 more. Worth the $30?

Well, assume the 24' is about 13,500 gallons the new filter recommendations would be at least 2.5 sqft or 21.4" diameter.

So, the 19" is a little small and would still highly suggest a 2-speed pump ... search for this part number: PNSD0060DO2260

jblizzle said:
Well, assume the 24' is about 13,500 gallons the new filter recommendations would be at least 2.5 sqft or 21.4" diameter.

So, the 19" is a little small and would still highly suggest a 2-speed pump ... search for this part number: PNSD0060DO2260

I believe this is the same one as the PN you posted http://www.poolproducts.com/SPP/productr.asp?pf_id=E3625 ?

I can get that for $30 more than the 19"

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.