About to drain my vinyl liner swimming pool to replace the liner. We have had rain

caliskier

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK
So wondering how serious it is to drain a liner pool for replacement. I know what can happen to a gunite pool where it poops out of the ground, but what about vermiculite bottom vinyl pool with metal walls?
We have had 10 in total of rain in the last 30 days, the last 2 week we got 5 of those 10 inches, and the last 2 days we got 1.5 of those 10 inches. Any concerns with the walls or floor with draining this pool?

I need to get it out so I can do the vermiculite this weekend and put the liner in the next weekend. Weather forecast calls for less rain until next weekend. Picture below is 5 years old...

@jimmythegreek may have better ideas.

Do you have a sump pit around the pool where you can put a pump in to drain out water?

I would consider bracing the walls against each other with 2x4s to provide support. I don’t think you need to worry about the floor.

i would wait for another week and dryer weather. nothing will happen to floor but you only need a day after vermiculite and you can install liner. waiting a week with an open pool is taking a chance unless you know you have no groundwater and pool is sound. do people do it all the time......yes they do. but the pic shows an older pool thats deep too, and saying you have had excessive rain in a flat yard worries me a little.

what do you have to do with the vermiculite? you talking repair or a full floor job?

i would wait for another week and dryer weather. nothing will happen to floor but you only need a day after vermiculite and you can install liner. waiting a week with an open pool is taking a chance unless you know you have no groundwater and pool is sound. do people do it all the time......yes they do. but the pic shows an older pool thats deep too, and saying you have had excessive rain in a flat yard worries me a little.

what do you have to do with the vermiculite? you talking repair or a full floor job?
Repair only I hope, the floor is pretty good shape but there are divits in the shallow end

@jimmythegreek may have better ideas.

Do you have a sump pit around the pool where you can put a pump in to drain out water?

I would consider bracing the walls against each other with 2x4s to provide support. I don’t think you need to worry about the floor.
Yeah,I think I’m going to wait until I have a line on my porch before I drain. I don’t actually have the liner yet but it’s supposed to be here middle of next week. Should dry out, one of the local pool store said it’s not usually an issue but I don’t wanna keep it uncovered the long

If at all possible it is best to not temp fate to come a knocking. I am SO glad yours is doing good. Here is hoping a big wind does not come up and mess things up!!!
Our vinyl liner pool has been drained for over a month now and still waiting to get the liner installed (drained for some repairs, etc, as well as new liner). It being empty with no liner has not had any effect on the integrity of the pool. We have had a load of rain too.
Thanks both of you, appreciate the remarks.

If at all possible it is best to not temp fate to come a knocking. I am SO glad yours is doing good. Here is hoping a big wind does not come up and mess things up!!!

We have had huge winds in the time frame in question. I don't see how anything like that could affect it. Our pool guys have been in the business for over 50 years (two brothers who started working in their dad's pool business as youngsters). I can't see how anything would happen unless there are serious structural problems already with a pool. Everything looks perfect (just minus a liner). Repairs have been done now, just waiting for dry weather to install the new liner.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.