AB vs DB quotes - feedback requested

TopherG

Bronze Supporter
Mar 23, 2017
Brooksville, FL
I have finally received quotes to resurface my pool (12x24 rectangle, gunite, 1999 in Florida).

Diamond Brite - $3655 (most recommended DB guy in my area)
  • plaster - $2400
  • new 6x6 waterline tile - $1005
  • replace light w/Pentair Amerlite - $250
  • glass tile to outline steps - $0. Won't do it.
  • glass tile for markers - $0/labor. I buy the tile, they'll simply press it into the fresh DB.

aquaBright - $5525 (says he has done 100+ AB pools in Tampa Bay region)
  • AB - $4000
  • new 6x6 waterline tile - $945
  • replace light w/Pentair Amerlite - $330
  • glass tile markers & steps - $250

Concerns
  • The DB guy says they will grind off the face of existing tile and install new tile over that so tile and new DB are flush. Is that common?
  • DB guy buys a base color and adds quartz, etc instead of buying factory mix colors.
  • Not comfortable with glass tile markers not installed w proper thinset.

Any thoughts, questions and/or comments?
Thanks!

Ummm...based on your concerns and that fact that I've never heard of anyone setting tiles by "smooshing" then into the plaster, I'd go with the AquaBirght guy as he sounds like he knows what he's doing. I think you will be very happy with the aquaBright coating. It will be my front-up choice someday when I need to resurface my pool....

Everyone in town recommends him but that 'smooshing' glass tile into the plaster bottom really threw me. I think that's common w plain ol' markers but w glass? I've sent emails to a few of the AB guys' references.

Have you ever heard of grinding off the face of existing waterline tile to install new?

My marker tiles were all laid down with proper thin-set tile adhesive. Maybe his method works but that's not how I would do it. And no, I've never heard of grinding off a tile face. You chip them out, clean off the old thinset and then re-tile. I can't see how grinding porcelain tile faces off is at all an easy or appropriate method of reworking a pool's interior.

Sounds to me like this guy has just found ways to do a hack job to save himself the time and expense of actually doing it the right way....does he actually plan on chipping out the old plaster before applying the DiamondBrite??

I really like my AB.

https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/130068-AquaBright-Ecofinish-Alternative-to-Acid-Washing

My water says remarkably stable. All I do is check the balance once a week, sometimes twice. If FC is a little low, I up it 5%, if it is a bit high I lower it 5%. PH seems to just hang at 7.7. Quite amazing. I bet I could check it every 2 weeks without an issue.

It looks great, and is exceptionally durable. I expect it will last till after I'm dead. What I also like is that if the CSI does go too negative or too positive, well so what? Worse case I'd have to acid wash my tile, or re-grout it. And leaks? I don't think that is really possible with this stuff unless there was gun play with high powered weapons. Even then, I'm not sure the AB would fail! ;-) OK, maybe it isn't bullet proof, but even in that situation, just shoot some over the top of what you have. Don't like the color? Shoot another color over the top. Since the new will melt into the old, you always have a single, uniform, and durable surface.

Plus, the decision is obvious once you consider the following key difference:

One is applied with a flame thrower, the other is not.

;-)

My marker tiles were all laid down with proper thin-set tile adhesive. Maybe his method works but that's not how I would do it. And no, I've never heard of grinding off a tile face. You chip them out, clean off the old thinset and then re-tile. I can't see how grinding porcelain tile faces off is at all an easy or appropriate method of reworking a pool's interior.

Sounds to me like this guy has just found ways to do a hack job to save himself the time and expense of actually doing it the right way....does he actually plan on chipping out the old plaster before applying the DiamondBrite??

No chip out, he applies the new DB over the old.
I just double checked with AB guy - he does completely remove the old tile if I choose AB. However, if I went with Marquis plaster he would put the new tile over the old.

I think this is a secret, only shared by the Knights of the Knowers of the Brightest of the Aqua. Once you learn the secret handshake, and are inducted into the Circle of trust, then and only then, will you know if this is possible.

OR, if it is Brain, just act crazy, supply cold beverages, and you are IN!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.