Bronze Supporter
Jun 23, 2020
Concord, NH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So I tried an AA treatment but the stains proceeded to return after a couple of weeks. I'm going to do another treatment but this time I'm going to do multiple water exchanges to get the metals out.

My question is, once I dump a portion of water and refill, how long should I wait for the water to mix before I dump more water?
I'm going to do about 3-4 exchanges, and it helps that it's going to be raining for about 3-4 days over here.

Thanks for all your help.

I'm on city water, but I'm surprised that I'm still getting some metals in the water, is there an attachment I can put on the hose to filter anything out before hand?
There are some after-market products that claim to help. But filtering depends on the state of the iron at discharge, so filtering success varies. But many folks will do something simple like run their fill water (or circulate pool water) through a separate container full of polyfill. Just a homemade DIY thing.

full

Reactions: cledee
I don't see much advantage changing out water, then. You have iron laden water in your pool and are exchanging it for iron laden water from your source.
So I don't know for sure if it's coming from the tap. It was tested once by the pool service that opens and closes my pool and they couldn't find any metals when they tested. I had gotten rid of the metals my first year of owning the pool, and the pool was metal free until the end of year 3, I got staining on the stairs and the return jets. I was hoping to do the AA treatment and use a sequestrant until the end of the season, but it re-stained, even while keeping PH low 7.0-7.2 and low chlorine. So I decided that doing an AA treatment and replacing the water would be better to do now and just completely remove the metals.

In post #1 you mentioned preparing for rain. That would be ideal. Anything to avoid the source of iron. Otherwise, the higher your iron content the quicker it will react to FC and pH. If it does, especially if the water turns color, that's the best time to try some poly filtering.

AA treatment will NOT rid your pool of iron. It will change the composition of the iron making it difficult for the iron to precipitate back out to a visible solid.........but it is still there. That's why you are spinning your wheels exchanging water. the iron content stays the same.

So the solution is to redo the aa treatment and this time KEEP your pH low (virtually forever) and introduce your FC back slowly. If you let the pH slip back up (say above 7.2) you will probably get precipitation and staining and a water exchange simply does you no good in your case.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
AA treatment will NOT rid your pool of iron. It will change the composition of the iron making it difficult for the iron to precipitate back out to a visible solid.........but it is still there. That's why you are spinning your wheels exchanging water. the iron content stays the same.

So the solution is to redo the aa treatment and this time KEEP your pH low (virtually forever) and introduce your FC back slowly. If you let the pH slip back up (say above 7.2) you will probably get precipitation and staining and a water exchange simply does you no good in your case.
I understand that. That's why I did an AA treatment then added Jack's the pink stuff, and I was adding it weekly, while keeping ph at 7.2 and keeping chlorine at minimum for CYA. It still stained, so if I can confirm my fill water has no iron, I think doing 4-5 water exchanges, I can fully remove it for good, having a heater, I don't want to keep pH at 7.2 forever.

so if I can confirm my fill water has no iron, I think doing 4-5 water exchanges, I can fully remove it for good
Getting good test results on local can be a bit difficult. No doubt that iron content increased over time on you. I wish you luck with your plan. Sounds like you have a good understanding of it all. Let us know how it goes. Good luck!

Getting good test results on local can be a bit difficult. No doubt that iron content increased over time on you. I wish you luck with your plan. Sounds like you have a good understanding of it all. Let us know how it goes. Good luck!
Hi guys,

I wanted to provide an update.
So I was able to get rid of most of stains (metals) doing the water exchange. I did get some very, light stains back at the bottom step, but I'm happy with it for now. I'll do another treatment around October right before I close the pool. The reason I got some stains back is I decided to slam the pool since I was starting to get algae and was able to capture some additional metals with polyfill, but some of it stained the bottom step, but not a big deal. I've kept the chlorine high for 3 days and haven't seen any additional staining around the pool so I'm hopeful I'm in the clear. Chlorine is holding up so I don't believe there's any AA remaining in the pool. Back to swimming we go!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.