AA Treatment - Now Cloudy Water

creechy

Oct 14, 2009
Wednesday evening I did an ascorbic acid treatment (Stain Free) followed by Metal Away. Thursday night, I vacuumed and then backwashed and increased the SWG. Friday morning the water was very cloudy there was 0 chlorine due to AA. Friday evening I added just a little bleach and muriatic acid because PH was 7.8. (I wanted to keep it down to prevent the staining.) This morning (Saturday) it is still very cloudy. I used my handheld tester until I can get to the pool store for more accurate readings.

FC 2.0
ph 7.4
TA 100

What should I do about the cloudy water? Is it okay to swim in cloudy water?

Thanks for the help!!

Dory

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
It is normal for sequestrant to cause some cloudiness for a couple of days after an AA treatment. It is also possible that you are on the verge of getting algae, which will also cause cloudiness, though that seems less likely give that your FC level isn't zero.

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
Not yet. Give it at least two full days to clear up. Also, you don't want to raise the FC level too quickly right after an AA treatment. Bring the FC level up very gradually.

frustratedpoolmom

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
May 20, 2007
SWSuburban Chicago, IL
The main issue with swimming in cloudy water that isn't caused from an algae bloom, is the clarity to the bottom... can you see someone in who may be experiencing trouble at the bottom?

creechy

Oct 14, 2009
Thanks for the help!! The pool is almost cleared up. My current readings are:

TC 1.4
FC 1.3
Ph 7.4
TA 89
CH 174

I will watch the FC and Ph the next few days and try to keep it low so the stains do not come back.

Any other advice to keep the stains (iron) from returning to the pool surface?

Thanks!!

chem geek

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 28, 2007
San Rafael, CA USA
Just make sure the pH doesn't get too high and be sure to add maintenance doses of metal sequestrant (it not only gets diluted, but chlorine slowly breaks it down as well).

Other Threads of Interest