A question about pressure

Fronzizzle

Jun 29, 2017
Augusta Township, Michigan
Hello all,

I have a pump pressure question.

I have a Hayward S166T92 pump/sand filter. My typical clean pressure is 14-15 psi (the manual says the maximum operating pressure is 40 psi).

My return line fitting (standard adjustable eyeball, 3/4" outlet) broke. I ordered an exact replacement, but delivery was 1-2 weeks out so I also purchased an odd venturi-style elbow, which arrived the next day. I installed that elbow and my clean pressure went up to 20 psi. I then removed the inner plastic piece from the elbow (thus increasing the diameter) and my clean pressure is now 10-11 psi.

Once the replacement fitting arrives, I'll have three different options, all at different pressures. My question is, should the clean pressure be any sort of consideration when deciding my configuration, or should it be based solely on the best circulation?

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Use whichever return setup works best for you.

Reactions: Fronzizzle

Chasarms

Silver Supporter
May 8, 2020
Dardenne Prairie, MO
As long as the filter pressures are safely in spec with your equipment and plumbing, they aren’t really relevant. The gauge is there mainly to give you a sense of the current condition of the filter system as compared to freshly cleaned.

Reactions: Fronzizzle
Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.