A photo of my Hayward Pool Equipment.

Nice the community joined in. I am a bit lacking in personnal experience so there are details I do not fully grasp, like 4JawChuck mentionned on turning the pump 180 degrees.

Or that issue with carbon monoxyde.

What I can say, however, is that you shouldn't take price/cost only into account. Having solar panels, especially if you put them on a roof or something will decrease pump performances because of the longer distance. They can also give you a bit of trouble to empty when you close your pool. A few customers turned a bit disapointed by the extra hassle.

It is a good product, just not for everyone.

Mart - Yes, Bob at PoolBuilders.

The pool is 18' x 30' with 7' deep end. We have full Southern Exposure so a lot of the heating is coming from the Sun.
I noticed the other night it was closer to 2-3 degrees per hour. I have been able to keep the pool temperature around 75 degrees just with the Solar blanket at night and any bit of sun in the afternoon. We may be getting more heat since our pipe runs are so short - the hot water and pressure that comes out of the jets is pretty incredible -- a friend who built a pool shed with longer pipes to and from has said the pressure from our jets is about 5 x's what he gets . Maybe that's why ours heats so fast ??

I've got lots of pressure as well.. poolbuilders do their job properly or at least seem to. I may try to heat the pool this week-end.. the season is almost over. Not sure if the $50 of gas is worth it though lol.. The 2-3 degrees still seems incredible. Let's see

1 btu = 1 degree F temperature increase for 1 pound of water
1 gallon = 8.35 lbs. My pool is ~19,500 gallons so 162 825 pounds.

The heater is 250k btu at ~84% efficiency, so 210k btu per hour.
210,000btu / 162 825 = 1.3 degrees temperature increase per hour.

If your pool is 12k gallons, then yes, you get 2 degrees per hour. Mine is a fiji 20 x 35, not much bigger than yours and definitely not 2x.

Mart - what is the distance from your jet to the pump ? Is your gas open all the way ? I noticed the 1st day that mine was almost closed. Through the month of August I only needed to turn it on a few nights, 1 or 2 hours each time. (maybe total of 12 hrs) - I need to check my gas bill maybe it was an estimate.

Mart, How deep is your deep end. - Ours is 7' but the actual water depth is 6'-6- The pool shape is Odysee II - and they made some adjustments to give us more of a shallow end for the kids. I'll calculate actual gallons. I'm sure it is more than 12k gallons.

If the cost is $50/hour I'll be getting another bill for $600 then.

Mart - what are your hydro bills like ? I am running the pump only on non-peak hours (9pm-7 am) The pump seems to cost about 11 cents per hour - according to the information I get from OttawaHydro - My normal cost for Total Electricity / everything in the house including the pump averages out to $ $2.80/ day. https://secure.hydroottawa.com/usage/Login.aspx?lang=en

I have had no algae yet, and the Chlorine, PH, and Alkalinity have been perfect so far.

offgrid said:
Mart - what are your hydro bills like ? I am running the pump only on non-peak hours (9pm-7 am) The pump seems to cost about 11 cents per hour - according to the information I get from OttawaHydro - My normal cost for Total Electricity / everything in the house including the pump averages out to $ $2.80/ day. https://secure.hydroottawa.com/usage/Login.aspx?lang=en

I have had no algae yet, and the Chlorine, PH, and Alkalinity have been perfect so far.

I get about the same cost running my 1hp pump in Burlington, ON. I have it running from 9:00am - 6:00pm all summer and seemed to work well, no green pool... :-D

My heater cost's $1.30 and hour to run (once again using rates from the GTA). It's 175,000BTU and also heats up my pool about 2-3c per hour (10,000 gal 12'x24'). It was such a hot summer I had to hardly run it at all which was kind of nice.

FlyBoy - How deep is your 12' x 24' pool. What shape ?
I think I was watching my temperature rise while it was Sunny. I'll try it again this weekend over night. Maybe it is only 1 degree per hour ??
Also, Is it better to keep your pool at a constant temperature ie: set your gas heater to 78 degrees or just heat it when you need it - thus having to bring it from 65 degrees back up to 80 on a Friday night.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
offgrid said:
FlyBoy - How deep is your 12' x 24' pool. What shape ?
I think I was watching my temperature rise while it was Sunny. I'll try it again this weekend over night. Maybe it is only 1 degree per hour ??
Also, Is it better to keep your pool at a constant temperature ie: set your gas heater to 78 degrees or just heat it when you need it - thus having to bring it from 65 degrees back up to 80 on a Friday night.

My pool is a rectangle 12x24 and about 5' deep in the deep end. I used to just turn on the heater when needed (this is the first season with the pool), so if it dropped off at night (we put a solar cover on at night since its easy with a 12x24 rectangle shape, takes literally 3 min to do), I would turn the heater on in the morning. But since it was so warm this summer, with the blanket on overnight, and sometimes leaving it on till the afternoon, I wouldn't need the heater at all. I found with the blanket on it would drop say 2c overnight, and without it, it would drop twice as much, say 4c, and with it on during the day when it was sunny, it would raise the temp about 3c during the day.

Attachments

• P1030562.JPG
    P1030562.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 55
  • IMGP0973.JPG
    IMGP0973.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 55
My pool is 8' deep (7.5' water line). Standard pool layout, not much shallow end but my 6 yo one spends his time in the deep end (and diving board!) and the youngest doesn't touch in the shallow end anyways.. I ran the heater maybe 5 - 10 hours throughout july and august, the solar blanket makes a huge difference. Yes, gas is open all the way, the heater works properly. My guess is that it's better to heat the pool only when you need it because the greater the difference between water and air = the more heat you lose. ie: if it's 50 at night and your pool is at 85, you'll lose a lot more heat than if it was at 70.. let the pool lose heat when you don't use it. Pump to 1st return is ~12' I think.

I have no clue how much I paid to run the pump, I've got AC so I had a nasty electricity bill this summer. The pump ran 8 - 10 hrs per day (during the day, to reduce heat loss) and I sure wish that bob would have let me upgrade to a 2 speed for a reasonable cost. Electricity cost would have been ~4x less I think.

During july / august, my average consumption has been 48kWh/ day, ~$3.83 / day. Seems to be ~15kWh more than last year so ~$1.50/day to run the pump.

offgrid said:
Hi,

I wish I had found this Forum before we got started. I stumbled here looking for information on PH balance.
But now that we have the pool installed I am hoping we made the right choices.

Here is a photo of all the pool equipment installed on an outdoor pad..... http://my-pool.blogspot.com/2010/09/hay ... nator.html

So far so good. We are very happy with the way everything is working, we haven't received our 1st hydro bill or gas bill yet - so I'll post that on my blog when it comes in.

18' x 30' Odysee II shaped in-ground pool and Equipment :

1. Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter Model # S-244T2 (300 lbs)
2. Hayward Super II Pump Model # SP3007X10A
3. Hayward Turbo Cell T-Cell-15 for pools up to 40,000 gallons
4. Hayward H Series Natural Gas Heater Model # H250 FDN
5. Haywrard Goldline Aquarite Salt Chlorine Generator AQR-CUL (white box mounted above)

I don't imagine you'll be using the gas fireplace at the same time you'll be using the pool heater, but were there any concerns with the pool heater exhaust being sucked in by the gas fireplace intake/exhaust thingy just above the pool heater?

Did any of the gas installers recommend a bigger gas line and gas meter? When I had a tankless hot water system installed, I was told a 1" line inside the house and a bigger metre would be required (per code I think - they added up all the gas equipment btus and said I was over some limit, regardless of whether I'd be running all of the equipment at the same time). In my case, the tankless heater was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Luckily I had a 1" line installed when the house was built and the gas company put in the bigger outside meter for free.

I just took some readings on my gas consumption on heating the pool.

11:33 am sunny
Outside Temperature was 55 degrees F
Pool Temp = 66 degrees F (with cover on)
I removed cover and started the heater at 11:33 am and let run for 1 hour (12:33) the temp went from 66 up to 69 degrees.
Meter reading was 18,833 cubic meter at start and 18839 cubic metre after 1 hour.

So I used 6 cubic metres of Natural Gas to raise the pool 3 degrees in one hour.
Cost for Natural Gas with Enbridge is 16.211 cents per cubic metre

So the cost for me to run the heater for 1 hour, and raise the pool by 3 degrees (today's conditions) is 97 cents.

I just turned everything off and see how much the pool temperature rises with just the sun. (sunny and about 60 degree F temperature outside)

So if I used my heater for a total of 10 hours during the month of August, my bill should only rise by about $10.
But maybe my math is wrong somewhere. Am I close to what other people are finding with Gas Heating ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.