04 April 2024 Update - More Equipment, First Pass Raspberry PI, Piping

Folks,

Update 03 April:
A LOT has happened. Put our house on the market thinking it would take a couple months to sell. 3 offers in 5 days, sold on 7th! We'd heard Florida real estate was hot and now we've experienced it first hand. So we've jumped through hoops to get ready to move to a rental while we build the new place. Architect and wife have finished the layout of house and now we're doing final positioning on the lot. We're slated for soil borings next and haven't yet started design work on the pool. Does anybody have experience with Curtis-Sinclair in W Palm Beach for pool design? Or know of any other pool designers in Florida?

Thanks.

Chris
Florida real estate is insane right now... it is a great market for sellers but super competitive if buying! Two people I work with had their homes sell in less than 12 hours, both were cash offers, and one with NO contingencies, not even an inspection. Crazy.

Man that IS fast!!! Have you found a rental to move to? House or apartment?
Yes, we found a rental on an 8 acre ranch. Small house but close to the new build. Packing and moving in a hurry is a pain! Seems like storage costs almost as much as a house!

Reactions: kimkats
4/28 update:

• Closed the sale on 4/23 so now no longer a pool owner (and homeless). Feels weird.
  • Put everything in storage and rental condo.
  • Close to complete with house architect and starting with pool designer next week (a little later than plan).
  • Busy week next week with first pass at overall schedule, financial plan, bidding template, and pool design concept.
This is going to be my full-time job now. Loads to do and I'm a little concerned about sky-rocketing material prices. Lumber is 4x normal price. Concrete similar.

Chris

This is going to be my full-time job now. Loads to do and I'm a little concerned about sky-rocketing material prices. Lumber is 4x normal price. Concrete similar.

You picked and interesting time to build.

I did a down to the studs reno on a house for one of my sons last year. He contracted on the house in February 2020, closed in June, starting construction in July and he moved in December 2020. Materials were a bit of a problem but we seemed to be ahead of the Covid demand curve.

Then another son bought a house for the land and is likely to teardown the house and build a new one. He is working with an architect now and I figure construction may start in early 2022.

So I will be very curious hearing about your experience.

You picked and interesting time to build.

I did a down to the studs reno on a house for one of my sons last year. He contracted on the house in February 2020, closed in June, starting construction in July and he moved in December 2020. Materials were a bit of a problem but we seemed to be ahead of the Covid demand curve.

Then another son bought a house for the land and is likely to teardown the house and build a new one. He is working with an architect now and I figure construction may start in early 2022.

So I will be very curious hearing about your experience.
I should be out for bids early summer. I'll pass along pricing/delivery information I get. Already found windows and appliances are 36+ week delivery. This definitely front loads the cash flow. Fortunately construction loans still carry pretty low rates. One friend that just built a high dollar house with incredibly high priced Thermador and Sub Zero appliances. They were late several months so he couldn't get the CO. Ended up getting bare minimum appliances with odd lot inventory at big box stores so they could move in.

Chris

Getting used to not having a pool for a while... I miss the pool a lot but we have a pool for the condo community. I have to admit that I don't trust anybody else to do my pool testing after 8 years of TFP. So I'm going to sneak some water to take to the condo and test it with my old pool tests. Robin says this is just an excuse and my pool testing is like a smoking addiction... is it possible to become addicted to TFP?

Reactions: kimkats and mguzzy
Getting used to not having a pool for a while... I miss the pool a lot but we have a pool for the condo community. I have to admit that I don't trust anybody else to do my pool testing after 8 years of TFP. So I'm going to sneak some water to take to the condo and test it with my old pool tests. Robin says this is just an excuse and my pool testing is like a smoking addiction... is it possible to become addicted to TFP?

I am waiting to hear how it goes when you don't like the condo pools water chemistry.

Reactions: setsailsoon

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm waiting to hear how it goes when you confront the HOA... will that event be streamed as well?:epds:

I am not presuming Chris may confront the HOA. He is just a renter and may not have any standing with the HOA. He may need to bring it to the condo owner to handle.

I don’t blame you. I won‘t even dip my toes in a public pool.

5/08 Update:

Finally making some progress. We have a clearing contractor removing all the invasive Brazilian Pepper trees that infested two of the property lines and obstructed view of the lake behind the house that we are trying to exploit with the pool design. Over $6K but this includes root removal and should reduce future maintenance costs plus pool excavation costs. Will add photos after site visit today. Also completed house floor plan... next pool designer in W Palm.

Chris

10 June Update

Folks,

It's taken a lot longer than planned to make progress mostly due to family related matters we had to tend to. Preliminary design with the house is complete and now moving pool design so any pool impacts can be implemented with no re-cycle of house design. We've had a tough time finding a pool design company. My first choice (Curtis Sinclair) is completely swamped so they are now only working with their in-house contractors. I've found a company in Miami that appears to be equally qualified or maybe even better (GIA Pool design) and will meet with them Monday afternoon to develop the initial concept.

Our plan for this meeting is to start with the survey and rough pool location with our current design concept to maximize visual impact with large glass exterior doors over the pool toward the lake behind and have an infinity edge closest to the lake with a spa at one end. Objective will be to consider alternatives they suggest for concept and develop design budget plus schedule. I'd also like to understand and inspection services they offer. They appear to offer certified inspections when local county cannot meet construction schedule requirements. I'm thinking to have close to rectangular since we'll want a cover option for possible heat efficiency and possibly also a feather edge for the rest of the sides. Rough dimensions will be 18'X 35'. I'll be getting soil borings in couple of weeks but design company indicates that their experience is that pilings are not required in our area. I've added some photo's below showing couple views plus a survey showing rough locations of house and pool. Clearing effort was more than I expected. Took 3 days with excavator then more time to dress the site with a blade and rake. Removed 25 loads of material in all... in spite of this contractor honored his lump sum price. Good start!

Chris

Image below is from back of lot facing lake approx where pool will start.

1623346021488.png

Image below is from street level after clearing.
1623346084878.png

Attachments

• Rough pool-house location on survey.pdf
    126.5 KB · Views: 61
Yep room for a huge pool but only so much $$. Should be able to go a little bigger than the last home but material prices are in low earth orbit right now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support