04 April 2024 Update - More Equipment, First Pass Raspberry PI, Piping

Yes. That was my point that with a screen the illusion is all but ruined. Unless that side is left open, but then FL bugs. So I dunno 🤷‍♂️
Great point on the screen and view... keeping the bugs o
Reading about Infinity Edge pools...

Vanishing Edges 101

Avoiding the Pitfalls of Vanishing-Edge Pool Construction

Where are you going to live during the build?
Allen,

Great articles and answers the challenging design for the knife edge. I'd really like to use the catch basin and one or two VS pumps to make this work... sounds like I'd better have another Intellicenter to handle the variable flow plus kick on another pump when pool load increases quickly.

Chris

OH CHIRS!!! I am SO happy for you!!! Sounds like you have found a sweet piece of land to put some good roots down on!

Where are you living while it is all being built?

Infinity edge=SO neat and pretty looking. Also=big extra money (build and equipment). Some thing else you could do is an knife edge. Many examples on google. It is VERY neat looking as well. It many also add some $$$ to the build but both would be worth it in my mind as this is going to be YOUR home!

Can you share a pic of the lot?
Kim,

Never heard of knife edge but Binged it and wow!!! It's a little challenging for the pump design but shouldn't be insurmountable. And man the look is gonna be incredible with our westerly Florida sunsets! I'm thinking a big 3 Hp Pentair VS pump with one or two singles that kick in on high level and a surge capacity for our normal visitors plus us.

Thanks!

Chris

Great point on the screen and view... keeping the bugs o

Allen,

Great articles and answers the challenging design for the knife edge. I'd really like to use the catch basin and one or two VS pumps to make this work... sounds like I'd better have another Intellicenter to handle the variable flow plus kick on another pump when pool load increases quickly.

Chris

I think @MyAZPool and others would enjoy helping you develop the proper automation for the pumps in a vanishing edge pool which is beyond the IntelliCenter abilities. As well as pH management which can be a challenge with all the flowing water.

Brazilian peppers? Is that a real pepper thing.....to eat?

DBCooper has a knife edge on the backside of his pool over Austin. Check it out. It may very well be what you can use.
Do you have a desired size yet for the pool? Depths?

Maddie :flower:

Brazilian peppers? Is that a real pepper thing.....to eat?
They're not the normal vine-grown peppers we normally see and most articles I've read indicate they can be poisonous. What I do know is they are an invasive plant to Florida and the quickly take over any area plus provide great habitat for mosquitoes. So we're doing our part to get rid of a few!

Chris

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
That is a Beautiful lot! A real empty canvas to work with... I hope you don't lose an ear over creating your masterpiece....

Have you decided on an architectural style yet for the property? It sounds like you have traveled a lot and probably have a notion with ideas from everything you have seen here and there and everywhere. A couple of stories if I may...

My dad traveled a lot in the military.. when they built their retirement home it was a conglomeration of all the things we lived in and had seen over a 30 yr career.. They choose a neighborhood where all the houses had very unique designs.. there was the Spanish Hacienda house, the English Tudor house, The Japanese Tea Garden house. But Dad didn't what a specific style.. It was this from here and that from there.. when it was all said and done, with the landscaping.. I'm told it looked like something from the French countryside.. Ironically of all the traveling we did we never visited France. And yet it fit the neighborhood of houses with distinct styles. After my Dad passed away, I did the backyard landscaping for my mom and worked with the pool builder to design a pool that fit the design of the house, using lots of brick and the themes and shapes my Dad had used in the rest of the house.

Another friend of mine did a similar thing... they had traveled extensively while attached to the diplomatic corp, mostly in South America. They had the came upon the concept for their retirement home fairly early in the game and then spent years looking for the property to execute it on.. Then they found it, a hill top in the hills east of San Luis Obispo in Ca where thy could build a scaled up Colonial Spanish Cottage. It had an amazing view of the sunsets on the Pacific, looking down the canyon. We used to camp there just for the fun of it before the house went it. The spa had an infinity edge and was on the west side of the house for the sunsets, while the pool was on the other side of the house. At first look, it appeared to be a reflecting pool, with fountains to fit the colonnade and ceramic tile path that approached the entrance through a garden of bougainvilleas and roses. But in reality it was a lap pool with a wheel chair entrance. The setting and the house came out so striking they rent it out for weddings. The coolest feature of the house besides all the really high ceilings and custom tile work is the shower in the master bathroom. It is wheel chair accessible, and is built into the round turret that formed a corner on the west side of the house. the picture windows afforded a 270 degree view of the canyon with the Pacific in the distance, while you nakedly enjoyed the view.

I mention these as an inspiration for you own design process.. Maybe that is why I like hanging out here so much.. to watch people create their masterpieces.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark,

Thanks for the inspirational comments. We've narrowed down the exterior to Mediterranean or something similar but not full Spanish. Architect says Med will work. There are a lot of Med, Spanish, and even ranch style in the neighborhood. Next development to us is 5 acre equestrian development with lots of white fences and a couple horses on each.

Our interior decorator told my wife she's got good taste for what she called Coastal Sheek, or is it Chiq, or Chic or Chique? Not my thing obviously.

Chris

There were a couple of builds with an open view screen on the back/front (??) part facing the lake. It can be done.
That's good to know Kim. Seems like the screen may take away some of the stunningness (is that a word?) but being bug free in the place is well worth it since we spend soooo much time out there in the evenings. And we leave doors open to the area as well when the weather's cool at night.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mark,

Thanks for the inspirational comments. We've narrowed down the exterior to Mediterranean or something similar but not full Spanish. Architect says Med will work. There are a lot of Med, Spanish, and even ranch style in the neighborhood. Next development to us is 5 acre equestrian development with lots of white fences and a couple horses on each.

Our interior decorator told my wife she's got good taste for what she called Coastal Sheek, or is it Chiq, or Chic or Chique? Not my thing obviously.

Chris
How about Greek/Italian Mediterranean... they were awesome sailors and you can build your theme on the Castles of San Marino, or Windmills of Mikinos, much to the consternation of your HOA. Tell them its to keep the bugs away!

Last edited:
I think @MyAZPool and others would enjoy helping you develop the proper automation for the pumps in a vanishing edge pool which is beyond the IntelliCenter abilities. As well as pH management which can be a challenge with all the flowing water.
Absolutely...
This beauty should definitely be the recipient of some high speed/low drag automation/sensor/chem control. I definitely see nodejs-poolController-dashPanel/REM in your future. :p
Don't forget to plan for a 3/4"-1" conduit from the pad to the house for at least 3 Cat-6's. (y) Hopefully your planning for an cooled IT closet to house a rack for servers, router, switches, etc. etc. ;)
r.

That's good to know Kim. Seems like the screen may take away some of the stunningness (is that a word?) but being bug free in the place is well worth it since we spend soooo much time out there in the evenings. And we leave doors open to the area as well when the weather's cool at night.

Chris

Absolutely...
This beauty should definitely be the recipient of some high speed/low drag automation/sensor/chem control. I definitely see nodejs-poolController-dashPanel/REM in your future. :p
Don't forget to plan for a 3/4"-1" conduit from the pad to the house for at least 3 Cat-6's. (y) Hopefully your planning for an cooled IT closet to house a rack for servers, router, switches, etc. etc. ;)
r.
I'm thinking a personal dedicated Geo-synchronous satellite link. I heard Musk was selling them cheap to jump-start the market in case his private trips to Mars don't sell...

If that section of screen breaking in a hurricane is your biggest concern... 😊

But if available, sure.

Folks,

Update 03 April:
A LOT has happened. Put our house on the market thinking it would take a couple months to sell. 3 offers in 5 days, sold on 7th! We'd heard Florida real estate was hot and now we've experienced it first hand. So we've jumped through hoops to get ready to move to a rental while we build the new place. Architect and wife have finished the layout of house and now we're doing final positioning on the lot. We're slated for soil borings next and haven't yet started design work on the pool. Does anybody have experience with Curtis-Sinclair in W Palm Beach for pool design? Or know of any other pool designers in Florida?

Thanks.

Chris

Last year we bought a house that was on the market for 6 days. Glad to see it moved fast for ya.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support